Blue Jays halt Tigers' winning streak at 7May 17, 2011 - 2:29 AM
Juan Rivera and J.P. Arencibia also brought in runs for the Blue Jays, who extended their own winning streak to six games.
Toronto starter Kyle Drabek (3-2) got the win, allowing just one run on three hits and six walks.
Jhonny Peralta had a solo homer for Detroit, which came into the contest with a seven-game winning streak. Victor Martinez went 0-for-4 to end his 13-game hitting streak.
Tigers starter Max Scherzer, who was gunning to become the first seven-game winner in the majors, gave up an unearned run in the seventh inning in a no- decision. Joaquin Benoit (1-3) suffered the loss, allowing three runs in the eighth.
With the game tied at one in the eighth, Benoit entered for the Tigers and gave up three runs.
Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion had back-to-back singles to begin the frame and Hill's double down the left line scored Bautista. Rivera and Arencibia then had consecutive sacrifice flies to give the visitors a 4-2 edge.
Peralta belted a solo shot over the left-field wall before Alex Avila walked to put the tying run at the plate with one out in the ninth. Brandon Inge hit a fly ball to the warning track for the second out and Don Kelly lined out to end the game to give Frank Francisco his fourth save of the season.
In the home first, Austin Jackson singled and swiped second before Drabek walked Andy Dirks and Brennan Boesch to load the bases with none out. Miguel Cabrera just missed a home run with a towering fly ball to the warning track in right, but it easily scored Jackson.
The Tigers couldn't do any more damage, as Drabek induced an inning-ending double play from Martinez.
Scherzer worked out of a tough spot in the sixth with runners on the corners with no outs, getting Encarnacion to pop out, Hill to strike out and Rivera to ground out to second.
Detroit's starter again put on the first two batters in the seventh, but his luck ran out.
After Arencibia and Rajai Davis singled, John McDonald's sacrifice bunt moved the runners to second and third. Escobar then lifted a sac fly to right to bring home Arencibia and tie the game at 1-1. The run was unearned, though, as Cabrera dropped a foul ball during Arencibia's at-bat.
Dirks posted his first big league hit in the third with a grounder through the left side...Peralta extended his hit streak to 11 games...Detroit took three of four from the Jays in Toronto from May 6-9...The Jays rapped out 12 hits and left nine runners on base.
- TORONTO: 4
May 16 10:00 PM
- Jhonny Peralta one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Alex Avila due up.
Blue Jays 4, Tigers 2 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 16 9:51 PM
- Rajai Davis singled to catcher. Runner on first with two outs and John McDonald due up.
Blue Jays 4, Tigers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 16 9:29 PM
- Juan Rivera sacrifice fly out to right scored Edwin Encarnacion. On the play, Aaron Hill advances to third. Runner on third with one out and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Blue Jays 3, Tigers 1 Top 8, 1 OutMay 16 9:27 PM
- Aaron Hill doubled to left scored Jose Bautista. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Juan Rivera due up.
Blue Jays 2, Tigers 1 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 16 9:25 PM
- Yunel Escobar sacrifice fly out to right scored J.P. Arencibia. On the play, Rajai Davis advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Corey Patterson due up.
Blue Jays 1, Tigers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 16 9:06 PM
- Miguel Cabrera sacrifice fly out to right scored Austin Jackson. On the play, Andy Dirks advances to third. Runners on first and third and with one out and Victor Martinez due up.
Blue Jays 0, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 16 7:25 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 7:06 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22