Furbush nets first win, Tigers double up RaysMay 24, 2011 - 5:59 AM
Charlie Furbush (1-0) earned a win in his major-league debut when he worked 3 2/3 scoreless innings of relief for Phil Coke, who left the game in the fourth because of an ankle injury. Furbush allowed two hits and a walk while fanning three in the Tigers' second consecutive win after a five-game losing streak.
Jeremy Hellickson (5-3) took the loss in 6 1/3 innings, allowing two runs on four hits and four walks while striking out four as the Rays lost for the seventh time in 10 games.
"I felt good. I made a couple mistakes in the middle innings...but other than that I feel real good," Hellickson said about his performance.
B.J. Upton walked to lead off the away fourth and stole second before moving to third on a single by Johnny Damon. Evan Longoria followed with a sacrifice fly to left field to bring home Upton. Ben Zobrist then reached on a bunt single to put men on first and second. On the play, Coke went to field the ball but twisted his right ankle at the bottom of the mound and had to leave the game because of the injury.
Furbush entered the game and walked Sean Rodriguez to load the bases. He then struck out Felipe Lopez and Kelly Shoppach to end the inning and keep it a 1-0 game.
Andy Dirks tied the game in the fifth when he led off the inning with his first career home run.
"There's nothing like it in the world, to hit a home run in the big leagues," said Danks. "It tied the ballgame at the time and we got a clutch pitching performance from Furbush there."
Detroit took the lead in the sixth on a Miguel Cabrera single that scored Brennan Boesch. Boesch hit a two-out double before Cabrera slapped a ball to right field that brought him home.
The Tigers added some insurance runs in the eighth inning after bringing nine batters to the plate. J.P. Howell was on the bump to start the inning and allowed a Brandon Inge walk to lead off the inning and a Scott Sizemore single two batters later.
Juan Cruz entered in relief of Howell after a Boesch strikeout and walked Cabrera to load the bases with two down. Martinez then ripped a double down the right-field line to plate Inge and Sizemore. Dirks was intentionally walked to load the bases a second time and Peralta followed with a single that brought in Cabrera and Martinez.
Jose Valverde started the ninth for Detroit and allowed a Sam Fuld two-run single with two outs to make the score 6-3. Upton worked a walk to bring the tying run to the plate, but Damon lined out to first to end the game.
Tampa Bay shortstop Elliot Johnson left the game in the sixth inning with left knee soreness that he sustained while getting caught stealing third base in the fifth...The Tigers have collected at least one extra-base hit in all 47 games this season...Coke allowed one run on two hits and a walk before leaving because of his injury after 3 1/3 innings.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
May 23 10:54 PM
- Sam Fuld single to right scored John Jaso and Matt Joyce with two out. Runner on first and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 3, Tigers 6 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 23 10:49 PM
- Jhonny Peralta single to center scored Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez with two out. On the play, Andy Dirks advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alex Avila due up.
Rays 1, Tigers 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 23 10:28 PM
- Andy Dirks intentionally walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Rays 1, Tigers 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 23 10:26 PM
- Miguel Cabrera single to right scored Brennan Boesch with two out. Runner on second and Victor Martinez due up.
Rays 1, Tigers 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 23 9:27 PM
- Andy Dirks lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Jhonny Peralta due up.
Rays 1, Tigers 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 23 9:02 PM
- Ben Zobrist bunt singled to third. On the play, Johnny Damon advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 1, Tigers 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 23 8:28 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 7:33 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22