Tigers rout RangersJun 8, 2011 - 6:39 AM
Casper Wells and Alex Avila both had a pair of doubles and ended with three hits apiece for Detroit, which has won four straight and eight of its last nine games.
"Ever since [the weather] started warming up, it seems like our bats kind of warmed up, too," said Wells. "The pitching's been there all year."
Tigers starter Rick Porcello (6-3) received his sixth win in seven decisions, allowing a run on six hits over six innings.
Ryan Raburn knocked in two runs while Victor Martinez finished 3-for-5 in the victory.
Josh Hamilton drove in the lone run for the Rangers, who had won five straight before dropping the first two games of this three-game series.
Matt Harrison (5-5) surrendered four runs -- three earned -- on eight hits and struck out five in a four-inning start for Texas. He gave up all four runs in the fourth inning.
"I thought for the first three innings he was very good. In the fourth inning, he just hit a wall," said Rangers manager Ron Washington.
Martinez's double started the four-run fourth. He then moved to third on Avila's single and touched home on Raburn's liner to left field. After Danny Worth drew a walk to load the bases, Jackson laced a shot into right to plate both Avila and Raburn. Wells cap off the big inning with a double down the left line to bring Jackson home.
The Rangers got on the board in the sixth, which was started with Ian Kinsler's single. He stole second, moved to third on David Murphy's base hit and scored when Hamilton clipped a slow dribbler that Avila picked up and threw to first.
The visiting team, though, got that run back and one during the next inning. With two men on, Jhonny Peralta had an RBI single through the left side, and after Avila struck out, Raburn lined a two-out RBI shot into left to expand Detroit's lead to 6-1.
Miguel Cabrera added a bloop hit to center that scored Wells in the seventh and Jackson collected an RBI single in the ninth to make up the final score.
Detroit selected infielder Colin Kaline, grandson of Tigers Hall of Famer Al Kaline, in the 26th round of the draft on Tuesday...The Tigers took two of three from the Rangers earlier in the year...Detroit was 8-for-21 with runners in scoring position and left 12 runners on base.
- DETROIT: 8
Jun 7 11:20 PM
- Austin Jackson single to left scored Alex Avila with two out. Runner on first and Casper Wells due up.
Tigers 8, Rangers 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 7 11:10 PM
- Miguel Cabrera single to center scored Casper Wells with two out. Runner on first and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 7, Rangers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 7 10:43 PM
- Ryan Raburn single to left scored Victor Martinez with two out. On the play, Jhonny Peralta advances to second. Runners on first and second with Danny Worth due up.
Tigers 6, Rangers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 7 10:19 PM
- Jhonny Peralta single to left scored Miguel Cabrera with one out. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to second. Runners on first and second with Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 5, Rangers 1 Top 7, 1 OutJun 7 10:12 PM
- Josh Hamilton ground out catcher to first scored Ian Kinsler with one out. On the play, David Murphy advances to second. Runner on second and Michael Young due up.
Tigers 4, Rangers 1 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 7 9:52 PM
- Brennan Boesch struck out looking to end the inning.
Tigers 4, Rangers 0 Mid 4Jun 7 9:17 PM
- Austin Jackson single to right center scored Alex Avila and Ryan Raburn with one out. On the play, Austin Jackson advances to second and Danny Worth is thrown out at home. Runner on second and Casper Wells due up.
Tigers 3, Rangers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 7 9:15 PM
- Ryan Raburn single to left scored Victor Martinez with one out. On the play, Alex Avila advances to second. Runners on first and second with Danny Worth due up.
Tigers 1, Rangers 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 7 9:04 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 7 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22