Rockies rout TigersJun 18, 2011 - 5:40 AM
Chris Nelson added a three-run homer, the first of his career, as the Rockies won their third straight contest after a three-game slide. Rookie Charlie Blackmon went 4-for-4 and knocked in two runs.
"It's hard to do. I've only done it in the minors once, maybe twice," Blackmon said about his four-hit night. "It's awesome. You'd like to do it every night. It makes you feel good."
Jason Hammel (4-6) went 6 1/3 innings in the win, allowing six runs on eight hits and four walks.
Rick Porcello (6-5) was touched for nine runs -- six earned -- on eight hits and two walks in just three innings for the loss.
Jhonny Peralta had a grand slam for the Tigers, who suffered their second defeat in three games.
Detroit loaded the bases with one out in the first, but got just one run across when Alex Avila walked. But that would be all the Tigers would get as Peralta popped out.
That would be the only lead Detroit would have as Colorado loaded the bases in the second and scored six times and batted around. Chris Iannetta hit a bloop single into shallow center field to score Seth Smith, Hammel worked a walk to plate Ty Wigginton and Gonzalez hit a sacrifice fly before Nelson pulled a ball inside the left-field foul pole to give the Rockies a 6-1 lead.
"I just didn't do a good job limiting the damage there. They had an opportunity to score some runs, but I also had an opportunity to put a foot down and stop it a three runs and I ended up giving up a big hit," Porcello said about the second inning.
Smith tripled to lead off the third and crossed the plate on Avila's fielding error on a ball hit by Wiggington. Gonzalez's two-run double later in the inning made it 9-1.
Colorado continued the rout with a Tulowitzki RBI double and a run scoring single by Blackmon in the fourth.
Gonzalez then went deep in the fifth before Blackmon singled in Wigginton in the sixth to finalize the scoring for Colorado.
Detroit tried to get back into the game with Peralta's grand slam in the sixth. Victor Martinez and Magglio Ordonez hit back-to-back base hits and Avila walked before Peralta placed a ball into the left-field bleachers.
A Martinez groundout scored Austin Jackson in the seventh, but the Tigers couldn't capitalize despite placing two men on base in both the eighth and ninth.
Colorado placed catcher Jose Morales on the 60-day disabled list and purchased the contract of catcher Matt Pagnozzi from Colorado Springs on Friday...Detroit hit 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base while Colorado was 6-for-11 and left just four...The Rockies finished the game with 14 hits and the Tigers had 12...Miguel Cabrera was thrown out at the plate trying to score on an Ordonez single in the third.
- DETROIT: 6
Jun 17 11:22 PM
- Victor Martinez grounded out short to first scoring Austin Jackson with two out. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Runner on third and Magglio Ordonez due up.
Tigers 6, Rockies 13 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 17 10:44 PM
- Charlie Blackmon single to right scored Ty Wigginton with two out. Runner on first and Chris Iannetta due up.
Tigers 5, Rockies 13 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 17 10:34 PM
- Jhonny Peralta one-out, Grand Slam (11) to left scored Victor Martinez, Magglio Ordonez and Alex Avila. Adam Wilk due up.
Tigers 5, Rockies 12 Top 6, 1 OutJun 17 10:22 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez one-out, solo Home Run (10) to right center. Chris Nelson due up.
Tigers 1, Rockies 12 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 17 10:11 PM
- Charlie Blackmon single to right scored Troy Tulowitzki with two out. Runner on first and Chris Iannetta due up.
Tigers 1, Rockies 11 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 17 10:00 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki double to center scored Todd Helton with none out. Runner on second and Seth Smith due up.
Tigers 1, Rockies 10 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 17 9:56 PM
- Chris Nelson grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Tigers 1, Rockies 9 End 3Jun 17 9:48 PM
- Ty Wigginton reached first on Alex Avila's fielding error scoring Seth Smith with none out. Runner on first and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Tigers 1, Rockies 7 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 17 9:42 PM
- Chris Nelson two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Chris Iannetta and Jason Hammel. Todd Helton due up.
Tigers 1, Rockies 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 17 9:25 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez sacrifice fly to right scored Charlie Blackmon with two out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Nelson due up.
Tigers 1, Rockies 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 17 9:23 PM
- Jason Hammel walked scoring Ty Wigginton with one out. Bases loaded with one out and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Tigers 1, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 17 9:21 PM
- Chris Iannetta single to center scored Seth Smith with one out. On the play, Charlie Blackmon advances to second and Ty Wigginton advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Jason Hammel due up.
Tigers 1, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 17 9:19 PM
- Alex Avila walked scoring Austin Jackson with two out. Bases loaded and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 17 8:55 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 17 8:41 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22