Peralta stars as Tigers tame TwinsJul 23, 2011 - 4:19 AM
Ryan Raburn went 2-for-4 with a solo home run and two runs scored while Carlos Guillen drove in two for the Tigers, who won the opener on Thursday and have been victorious in four of their last five games.
Max Scherzer (11-5) benefited from the run support and pitched a good game as well, giving up just one run on four hits with a walk over seven innings in the second of a four-game set between these AL Central rivals.
"We're just playing good baseball right now," said Scherzer. "You really don't get caught up in the numbers cause you know they are a good team over there and they can beat you. You just go out and play the game the way you know how and things will work out."
Danny Valencia and Jim Thome each drove in a run for the Twins, who have dropped four of six. Brian Duensing (7-8) dropped his first decision in five starts as he was torched for seven runs on nine hits over just 4 2/3 innings.
"He made it real tough out there for us tonight," said Minnesota outfielder Jason Kubel, who went 1-for-2 with a pair of walks. "Even towards the end he was strong. He's got a really good changeup and he just threw a good game."
Kubel was back in the lineup after the club activated him from the 15-day disabled list on Thursday. He had been on the DL since the end of May with a sprained right foot.
With the win and Cleveland's loss to Chicago on Friday, Detroit increased its lead to 1 1/2 games for the top spot in the division. Minnesota has fallen to seven games back.
A large part of the reason the Tigers are sitting in first place is that they have defeated the Twins in all seven games between the squads this year. The 11-game winning streak is the longest Detroit has over the Minnesota franchise.
Detroit led this game from start to finish as Raburn hit a one-out homer in the first and Peralta did the same in the second for a 2-0 lead.
The Twins got one back in the bottom of the second on a Valencia groundout, but Detroit got two back in the third as Peralta's bases-loaded single scored Austin Jackson and Magglio Ordonez for a 4-1 lead.
An RBI double from Peralta and two-run single by Guillen in the fifth made it 7-1 contest.
The sixth saw the Tigers make it an 8-1 game as Victor Martinez's single to center scored Raburn.
Thome's RBI single in the ninth off of Lester Oliveros accounted for the final score.
Scherzer came into the game having lost three times in four decisions over his previous five starts. He is 1-1 in five starts against the Twins...Duensing had a three-game winning streak over his previous four starts. He is now 1-3 in 15 appearances against Detroit.
- DETROIT: 8
Jul 22 11:27 PM
- Jose Valverde enters the game for the Tigers with runners on first and third and one out.
Tigers 8, Twins 2 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 22 11:24 PM
- Victor Martinez single to center scored Ryan Raburn with two out. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 8, Twins 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 22 10:17 PM
- Carlos Guillen single to center scored Victor Martinez and Jhonny Peralta with two out. Runner on first and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 7, Twins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 22 9:51 PM
- Jhonny Peralta double to left scored Magglio Ordonez with two out. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to third. Runners on second and third and Carlos Guillen due up.
Tigers 5, Twins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 22 9:47 PM
- Jhonny Peralta single to center scored Austin Jackson and Magglio Ordonez with two out. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Carlos Guillen due up.
Tigers 4, Twins 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 22 9:11 PM
- Danny Valencia grounded out third to first scored Michael Cuddyer with one out. On the play, Jason Kubel advances to second. Runner on second and Jim Thome due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 22 8:47 PM
- Jhonny Peralta one-out, solo Home Run (16) to left. Carlos Guillen due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 22 8:29 PM
- Ryan Raburn one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Magglio Ordonez due up.
Tigers 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 22 8:14 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 8:10 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22