Tigers down TwinsJul 25, 2011 - 12:55 AM
Porcello (10-6) allowed two runs on five hits while striking out four over six innings to record his fourth consecutive victory.
Jose Valverde earned his 26th save of the season.
Jhonny Peralta, Wilson Betemit and Ramon Santiago each had an RBI and the Tigers, who took three of four in the series, plated two runs on wild pitches from Francisco Liriano and Anthony Swarzak, respectively.
Liriano (6-8) lasted just 2 1/3 innings, allowing four runs on six hits and four walks.
Jim Thome and Delmon Young each drove in a run for the Twins.
Liriano hurt himself in the second, issuing a one-out walk to Ryan Raburn before throwing a wild pitch to Betemit, which allowed Raburn to advance. Betemit struck out, but Santiago followed with an infield single to place runners on the corners. Liriano's second wild pitch, this time to Austin Jackson, plated Raburn.
Magglio Ordonez drew a walk to begin the third and, after a Miguel Cabrera strikeout, four straight singles by Victor Martinez, Peralta, Raburn and Betemit pushed two runs across and marked the end of Liriano's day.
Swarzak entered with the bases loaded and allowed a run to cross the plate when Santiago reached base on Alexi Casilla's fielding error. Swarzak was able to get out of the inning, but not before the Tigers made it a 4-0 contest.
"It always starts with your opening pitcher," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. "When you end up in your bullpen and you're playing too much defense early in games it takes all the momentum away from you."
The Twins got on the board in the fourth, as Michael Cuddyer drew a leadoff walk, advanced to third on Danny Valencia's double and scored on Thome's groundout. Young then made it a 4-2 game with an RBI double to left.
Jackson led off the sixth with a double, moved to third on Ordonez's fly out and scored when Swarzak -- like Liriano -- issued a wild pitch.
"It's tough to go into anyone's home territory and get some big wins," said Jackson. "We did that tonight. We were patient off Liriano, we got some cheap hits and we put some things together."
Minnesota stranded six and was 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position...The Tigers are 22-11 against divisional opponents this season...The Twins are now seven games back of the AL Central-leading Tigers.
- DETROIT: 5
Jul 24 7:31 PM
- Austin Jackson scored on an Anthony Swarzak wild pitch with two out. None on and Miguel Cabrera at the plate.
Tigers 5, Twins 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 24 6:18 PM
- Delmon Young double to left scored Danny Valencia with two out. Runner on second and Tsuyoshi Nishioka due up.
Tigers 4, Twins 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 24 5:50 PM
- Jim Thome ground out short to first scored Michael Cuddyer with two out. On the play, Danny Valencia advances to third. Runner on third and Delmon Young due up.
Tigers 4, Twins 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 24 5:50 PM
- Ramon Santiago safe at first on a force attempt. On the play, Wilson Betemit advances to second and Ryan Raburn advances to third and Jhonny Peralta scored on Alexi Casilla's fielding error with one out. Bases loaded and Austin Jackson due up.
Tigers 4, Twins 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 24 5:18 PM
- Wilson Betemit single to right scored Victor Martinez with one out. On the play, Ryan Raburn advances to second and Jhonny Peralta advances to third. Bases loaded and Ramon Santiago due up.
Tigers 3, Twins 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 24 5:13 PM
- Jhonny Peralta single to center scored Magglio Ordonez with one out. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ryan Raburn due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 24 5:07 PM
- Ryan Raburn scored and Ramon Santiago advanced to second on a Francisco Liriano wild pitch with two out. Runner on second and Austin Jackson at the plate.
Tigers 1, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 24 4:42 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 4:11 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22