Tigers dominate AngelsJul 30, 2011 - 5:50 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Victor Martinez and Carlos Guillen knocked in four runs apiece, as the Tigers dominated the Angels, 12-2, in the second test of a four-game series.
Brennan Boesch went 2-for-3 with a solo homer and two runs scored for the Tigers, who bounced back from a 12-7 loss in the opener of this series on Thursday.
Detroit starter Rick Porcello (11-6) tossed eight strong innings to finish off the month of July with a 5-0 record. Porcello gave up two runs on five hits en route to winning his fifth straight start.
The right-hander also struck out six and walked zero. The 22-year-old Porcello last recorded five straight victorious starts as a freshman hurler from May 5-27, 2009.
"It might be the best game I've seen him pitch since he's been in the big leagues," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland of Porcello. "I thought he was tremendous against a team that just bashed the ball around yesterday."
Maicer Izturis hit a solo homer for the Angels, who saw a three-game winning streak come to an end.
Tyler Chatwood (6-7) allowed six runs on eight hits over 5 1/3 innings to suffer the loss.
"That's the best we've seen him pitch," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia of Porcello. "Good angles, good movement, good slider."
Izturis and Boesch hit solo homers for their respective teams in the first inning.
The Angels took the lead in the fifth on Mark Trumbo's RBI single. But Ramon Santiago tied the game at two in the home half on an RBI double.
Detroit broke the game open with a four-run sixth. Andy Dirks was hit by a pitch and Boesch walked to start things. After Miguel Cabrera flied out, Martinez singled in Dirks. Guillen followed with a two-run triple. Alex Avila then singled in Guillen to make it 6-2. Rich Thompson replaced Chatwood and recorded the final two outs of the inning.
The Tigers tacked on two more runs in the seventh to take an 8-2 lead. Dirks singled, moved to second on Cabrera's groundout and scored on Martinez's double. Guillen followed with an RBI double of his own.
Detroit added four more runs in the eighth to account for the final margin. Don Kelly got the scoring started with an RBI single. Cabrera walked to load the bases. Martinez then hit a two-run single. But the inning just got worse for LA.
Guillen hit a fly ball down the right-field line, and Torii Hunter made a great catch for the second out of the frame. Cabrera caught the Angels off guard when he tagged from third. He beat the throw home for a 12-2 margin.
The Angels lead the season series with Detroit, 3-2...LA went 1-for-2 with runners in scoring position and stranded two...The Tigers recalled pitcher Daniel Schlereth from Triple-A Toledo. Schlereth tossed a scoreless ninth. In a corresponding move, the Tigers optioned pitcher Chance Ruffin to Toledo...Detroit had 15 hits, compared to five for the Angels.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Jul 29 9:51 PM
- Don Kelly switches from left field to third base.
Angels 2, Tigers 12 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 29 9:45 PM
- Victor Martinez singled in Andy Dirks and Don Kelly with one out. Victor Martinez advances to second on Torii Hunter's throwing error. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Runners on second and third with Carlos Guillen due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 11 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 29 9:42 PM
- Don Kelly singled in Austin Jackson with one out. On the play, Andy Dirks advances to second. Runners on first and second with Miguel Cabrera due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 9 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 29 9:34 PM
- Carlos Guillen doubled in Victor Martinez with two out. Runner on second with Alex Avila due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 29 9:10 PM
- Victor Martinez doubled in Andy Dirks with two out. Runner on second with Carlos Guillen due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 29 9:09 PM
- Alex Avila singled in Carlos Guillen with one out. Runner on first with Wilson Betemit due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 6 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 29 8:36 PM
- Carlos Guillen tripled in Brennan Boesch and Victor Martinez with one out. Runner on third and Alex Avila due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 29 8:35 PM
- Victor Martinez singled in Andy Dirks with one out. On the play, Brennan Boesch advances to third. Runners on first and third with Carlos Guillen due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 3 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 29 8:34 PM
- Austin Jackson grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Angels 2, Tigers 2 End 5Jul 29 8:21 PM
- Peter Bourjos flied out to center. Runner on first with one out and Bobby Wilson due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 1 Top 5, 1 OutJul 29 8:08 PM
- Brennan Boesch two-out, solo Home Run (15) to right. Miguel Cabrera due up.
Angels 1, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 29 7:20 PM
- Maicer Izturis lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 29 7:07 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 29 7:07 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22