Haren guides Angels past TigersJul 31, 2011 - 1:29 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Dan Haren tossed his third complete game of the season to lead the Angels past the Tigers, 5-1, in the third portion of a four-game series.
Haren (11-6) allowed one run on six hits and a walk while striking out just one batter.
"The key to success against Texas and all the big lineups is keeping the guys off base in front of their big guys. I did that for the most part," said Haren.
Erick Aybar went 3-for-5 with a double and two runs scored as the Angels won for the eighth time in their last 11 games.
Jacob Turner (0-1) made his major league debut, allowing two runs on three hits and three walks while striking out six through 5 1/3 innings for the loss.
"I definitely had jitters in the first inning, but that's to be expected. Ultimately, it went pretty well," Turner said about his debut. "It was an awesome experience."
Magglio Ordonez knocked in Detroit's lone run as the team fell for the fifth time in the past eight games.
Haren retired the first nine batters he faced, but Andy Dirks led off the fourth inning with a double, advanced to third on a Brennan Boesch groundout and crossed the plate on Ordonez's single into center field, giving the Tigers a one-run advantage.
The Angels answered back in the fifth when Peter Bourjos was hit by a pitch to start the frame, stole second and came home on a Torii Hunter base hit to knot the game at one.
After Howie Kendrick's one-out walk in the sixth, Turner was removed in favor of Phil Coke. Aybar greeted the lefty with a double to left field and Mark Trumbo was intentionally walked to load the bases. Coke then hit Bourjos with a pitch, scoring Kendrick.
Jeff Mathis sent a sacrifice fly to right that brought Aybar home and gave the Angels a 3-1 lead.
LA added to its lead in the eighth. Aybar led off the frame with a single and came around to score on Trumbo's double to center. Bourjos laid down a sacrifice bunt to move Trumbo to third and, two batters later, Maicer Izturis lined an RBI double to left.
The only other time Haren put a runner in scoring position was when Detroit put runners on the corners with no outs in the seventh after back-to-back singles by Ordonez and Miguel Cabrera. Victor Martinez came up next and hit a grounder to first. Trumbo threw to second for the force, and then Aybar tossed the ball home, where catcher Mathis placed the tag on Ordonez at the plate for the double play.
Detroit acquired pitchers Doug Fister and David Pauley from the Seattle Mariners in exchanged for pitcher Charlie Furbush, third baseman Francisco Martinez, outfielder Casper Wells and a player to be named later Saturday...Turner was recalled from Double-A Erie earlier Saturday...Haren improved to 4-4 lifetime against the Tigers...It was Haren's 14th complete game of his career.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Jul 30 7:05 PM
- Maicer Izturis doubled to left scoring Mark Trumbo. Runner on second with two outs and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 5, Tigers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 30 6:36 PM
- Mark Trumbo doubled to right center scoring Erick Aybar. Runner on second with none out and Peter Bourjos due up.
Angels 4, Tigers 1 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 30 6:32 PM
- Jeff Mathis sacrifice fly out to right scored Erick Aybar. On the play, Peter Bourjos advances to second and Mark Trumbo advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Maicer Izturis due up.
Angels 3, Tigers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 30 5:51 PM
- Peter Bourjos' hit-by-pitch scored Howie Kendrick. Bases loaded with one out and Jeff Mathis due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 1 Top 6, 1 OutJul 30 5:50 PM
- Torii Hunter singled to left scoring Peter Bourjos. Runner on first with two outs and Bobby Abreu due up.
Angels 1, Tigers 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 30 5:29 PM
- Magglio Ordonez singled to center scoring Andy Dirks. Runner on first with one out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Angels 0, Tigers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 30 5:18 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 4:13 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22