Rangers avoid sweep, beat TigersAug 4, 2011 - 11:11 PM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Michael Young had two hits, including an RBI triple, and the Rangers beat the Tigers 5-2 on Thursday to avoid a three-game sweep.
Josh Hamilton and Nelson Cruz also had two hits while Alexi Ogando pitched 6 1/3 innings to beat Detroit for the third time this season, helping Texas snap a three-game losing streak.
Ogando (11-5) came out after giving up back-to-back RBI singles to Wilson Betemit and Ryan Raburn in the seventh inning, but Darren Oliver and new acquisition Koji Uehara pitched the Rangers out of trouble.
Four of the eight hits Ogando allowed came in the seventh. The 27-year-old right-hander snapped a personal two-game losing streak, throwing 69 of his 97 pitches for strikes and reaching the high 90s with his fastball.
"He was just too good for us today," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland.
Detroit starter Brad Penny (7-9) took the loss after giving up five runs -- four earned -- on 11 hits and three walks in 6 2/3 innings. The 33-year-old righty has lost three straight starts and fell to 1-4 lifetime against the Rangers.
"My line was a lot worse than I threw today," said Penny. "We want to win every game, but we did beat a good team two out of three."
Young's triple in the seventh inning was the only extra-base hit out of 20 combined hits for both teams -- 11 for the Rangers and nine for the Tigers.
It was a doozy.
Young knocked the ball into the right field corner to score Hamilton from first base for a 5-0 lead. The hit bounced in front of the wall, but Raburn couldn't immediately find it.
Bizarrely, the right fielder backed away from the wall casually and appeared to think the ball had bounced over it, allowing Young to make it all the way to third on the play.
Ogando gave up four singles in the seventh before he was yanked. He moved to 3-0 versus the Tigers this season after also beating them on April 11 and June 8. He has allowed just three runs in 21 innings in the three starts.
Detroit, which had won each of the first two games of the series by one run, had a three-game winning streak snapped.
Cruz singled to lead off the second inning and later scored from second base when the Tigers caught Mike Napoli in a rundown between first and second for a double play. Cruz sprinted home and catcher Victor Martinez dropped Don Kelly's throw home for an error.
Texas' three-run rally in the fourth was a little neater. It was sparked by four straight singles to lead off in the inning by Young, Cruz, Napoli and Mitch Moreland. Young scored on Napoli's hit, Napoli came home on Endy Chavez's sacrifice fly and Ian Kinsler delivered an RBI single that plated Moreland.
Detroit won the season series with Texas, 6-3...The Tigers finished 4-3 on a seven-game homestand that also included a testy four-game series with the Angels. They are headed out on a nine-game road trip starting Friday in Kansas City...The Rangers went 2-4 on a six-game road trip and are headed home for six games starting Friday against the Cleveland Indians.
- TEXAS: 5
Aug 4 4:02 PM
- Ryan Raburn singled to center scoring Victor Martinez with one out. On the play, Wilson Betemit advances to second. Runners on first and second with Ramon Santiago due up.
Rangers 5, Tigers 2 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 4 3:20 PM
- Wilson Betemit singled to left scoring Miguel Cabrera with one out. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to second. Runners on first and second with Ryan Raburn due up.
Rangers 5, Tigers 1 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 4 3:19 PM
- Michael Young tripled to right scoring Josh Hamilton with one out. Runner on third and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 5, Tigers 0 Top 7, 1 OutAug 4 3:03 PM
- Ian Kinsler singled to center scoring Mitch Moreland with two out. On the play, Andres Blanco advances to second. Runners on first and second with Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 4, Tigers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 4 2:14 PM
- Mike Napoli singled to center scoring Michael Young with none out. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to second. Runners on first and second with Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 2, Tigers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 4 2:07 PM
- Mitch Moreland double-play groundout scored Nelson Cruz. Mike Napoli out at second. None on with two outs and Andres Blanco due up.
Rangers 1, Tigers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 4 1:36 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 4 1:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22