Cabrera, Verlander lead Tigers over TwinsAug 17, 2011 - 5:58 AM
Verlander (18-5) allowed one run on seven hits and a walk in 7 2/3 innings. He also struck out eight in his sixth straight and major league-leading 18th win.
"In the fourth, fifth and sixth [innings] I really got into it and started throwing my curveball much better," said Verlander. "It's a lot easier when your guys give you a seven-run lead."
Ramon Santiago added a home run in Detroit's fourth win in six games.
Nick Blackburn (7-10) allowed five runs on 11 hits and two walks in just 4 2/3 innings to take his fourth straight losing decision.
"These guys are tough. If you make a mistake they're going to put it in play," Blackburn said about Detroit. "That's why they're winning this division right now."
Justin Morneau knocked in the lone run for the Twins, losers in 12 of their last 15.
Austin Jackson legged out a bunt single with one out in the third and Brennan Boesch followed with a double off the base of the wall in right field, putting runners on second and third.
Delmon Young followed with a grounder to third that Danny Valencia fielded and threw home to easily get Jackson out at the plate. But a Blackburn wild pitch put runners on second and third for a second time in the frame, and Cabrera slapped a single up the middle to bring both runners home.
With two outs and runners on first and second in the fifth, three straight singles by Victor Martinez, Alex Avila and Jhonny Peralta knocked Blackburn out of the game and made the score 5-0.
Santiago's homer off of Phil Dumatrait to lead off the sixth, and Cabrera's run-scoring single off of Anthony Swarzak later in the inning completed Detroit's scoring.
Verlander stranded two runners in the first and a man on third in the second, but then did not allow a baserunner past first base until the eighth, when Ben Revere and Trevor Plouffe hit consecutive one-out singles.
After a Joe Mauer strikeout, Morneau lined a single into right, scoring Revere and ending Verlander's night. Phil Coke entered and needed one pitch to induce a fly out to left by Jason Kubel, ending the inning.
Joaquin Benoit tossed a scoreless ninth to finish the game for Detroit.
Twins designated hitter Jim Thome did not start at DH after recording his 600th career home run on Monday. He entered as a pinch-hitter in the ninth and struck out...Cabrera's base hit in the third extended his hit streak to 14 games...Verlander's strikeout of Morneau in the sixth inning was his 200th of the season. It is his third straight season with 200 strikeouts and is the longest streak for a Tigers pitcher since Mickey Lolich recorded six straight from 1969-74...Verlander is now 14-3 in 19 starts after a Tigers' loss.
- MINNESOTA: 1
Aug 16 9:57 PM
- Justin Morneau singled to right scored Ben Revere. On the play, Trevor Plouffe advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 1, Tigers 7 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 16 9:35 PM
- Miguel Cabrera singled to right scored Brennan Boesch. On the play, Miguel Cabrera out at second, right to short to end the inning.
Twins 0, Tigers 7 End 6Aug 16 9:11 PM
- Austin Jackson walked. Runner on first with none out and Brennan Boesch due up.
Twins 0, Tigers 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 16 9:00 PM
- Jhonny Peralta singled to left scored Victor Martinez. On the play, Alex Avila advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Don Kelly due up.
Twins 0, Tigers 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 16 8:45 PM
- Alex Avila singled to right scored Miguel Cabrera. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Twins 0, Tigers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 16 8:43 PM
- Victor Martinez singled to right scored Brennan Boesch. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Alex Avila due up.
Twins 0, Tigers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 16 8:42 PM
- Miguel Cabrera singled to left scored Brennan Boesch and Delmon Young. Runner on first with two outs and Victor Martinez due up.
Twins 0, Tigers 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 16 8:05 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 16 7:07 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22