Rays slip past TigersAug 25, 2011 - 5:45 AM
Zobrist reached safely on a fielder's choice in the ninth. Duane Below (0-2) struck out Matt Joyce and Casey Kotchman was hit by a pitch before pinch- hitter Rodriguez walked to load the bases. Elliot Johnson then grounded a ball to third baseman Brandon Inge. Ramon Santiago seemed late getting over to second and Rodriguez slid and was ruled safe by second base umpire Ed Rapuano to end the game.
"It's the thing we try to get everybody to do," Rays manager Joe Maddon said of his team's hustle. "It's incredible that you can't get everybody to do that all the time.
Longoria, who had three hits, homered in the fourth inning off Max Scherzer, as the Rays broke a two-game skid with the finale of this four-game series coming up Thursday afternoon.
Joel Peralta (3-4) pitched the 10th inning to get the win in relief of Wade Davis, who allowed four hits over nine innings.
Alex Avila went deep for the AL Central-leading Tigers, who had won five in a row.
Scherzer surrendered four hits over five innings.
"It was a good game. ... We just couldn't break through and get a big hit," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said.
Austin Jackson's sacrifice fly plated Jhonny Peralta in the third, but Longoria went deep to left leading off the Tampa Bay fourth.
Johnny Damon's double scored Sam Fuld in the fifth for a 2-1 Rays edge, but Avila cranked his 16th homer of the year to right with one out in the seventh.
The Rays, who are 1-5 against Detroit this season, had lost six in a row to the Tigers...Tampa Bay needs eight more wins for 1,000 all-time...Tampa Bay has won 11 of its last 15 games...The Rays, who left 12 men on base, have won each of the last five games started by Davis and nine of his last 11.
- DETROIT: 2
TAMPA BAY: 3
Aug 24 10:38 PM
- Alex Avila one-out, solo Home Run (16) to right. Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 2, Rays 2 Top 7, 1 OutAug 24 9:07 PM
- Johnny Damon double to center scored Sam Fuld with two out. On the play, John Jaso advances to third. Runners on second and third and Evan Longoria due up.
Tigers 1, Rays 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 24 8:36 PM
- Evan Longoria lead-off Home Run (22) to left. Ben Zobrist due up.
Tigers 1, Rays 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 24 8:06 PM
- Austin Jackson sacrifice fly to right scored Jhonny Peralta with two out. On the play, Wilson Betemit advances to third. Runner on third and Brennan Boesch due up.
Tigers 1, Rays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 24 7:48 PM
- DETROIT: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 24 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22