Martinez, Tigers rout TwinsAug 27, 2011 - 3:52 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Victor Martinez drove in four runs and Delmon Young knocked in three runs against his former team, as the Tigers downed the Twins, 8-1, in the opener of a three-game series.
Rick Porcello (12-8) held Minnesota to one run on seven hits and three walks over 6 1/3 innings for Detroit, which maintained its 6 1/2-game lead over the Indians atop the AL Central with its seventh win in eight games.
Scott Diamond (0-2), in his second career start, was touched for five runs on 11 hits in 6 1/3 innings to take the loss.
Minnesota has scored five runs during a six-game skid.
"You don't see many teams with four rookies in the starting lineup. It's not an excuse, it's reality. ... It's hard to win when everyone's still trying to learn," Twins first baseman Justin Morneau said when asked about the club's most recent swoon.
The Twins put their first three hitters on base in the second and only pushed one run across on Drew Butera's single to right.
"We dodged a couple of bullets and [Porcello] settled down," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "One hit there could have really broke it open."
Detroit responded in their next at-bat, which Brandon Inge and Austin Jackson got started with singles. Young's base hit plated Inge, and Jackson raced in on Martinez's sacrifice fly.
Young, acquired in a trade with the Twins earlier this month, greeted Glen Perkins with an RBI single after Diamond loaded the bases with one out in the seventh. Martinez added a ground-rule double to left-center to bring in Jackson and Ramon Santiago for a 5-1 cushion.
The Tigers padded the margin with three in the eighth. Santiago tacked on a run-scoring sac fly, Young knocked in Ryan Raburn and Martinez worked a walk with the bases loaded to force in another. Lester Oliveros was credited with all three runs allowed.
Phil Coke hurled 1 2/3 hitless innings in relief for Detroit, which leads the season series, 10-3...Minnesota is 5-18 in August...Young, Raburn and Miguel Cabrera each had three hits in Detroit' 16-hit effort. Cabrera missed Thursday's win at Tampa Bay for the birth of his son Christopher Alexander...Porcello, Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer became the first trio of Tigers pitchers with 12 or more wins in the club's first 131 games of the season since Jack Morris, Dan Petry and Walt Terrell did so in 1985.
- DETROIT: 8
Aug 26 11:07 PM
- Victor Martinez' walk scored Austin Jackson. Bases loaded with two outs and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 8, Twins 1 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 26 10:46 PM
- Delmon Young single to center scored Ryan Raburn. On the play, Austin Jackson advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 7, Twins 1 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 26 10:46 PM
- Ramon Santiago sacrifice fly out to left scored Jhonny Peralta. Runners on first and second with two outs and Delmon Young due up.
Tigers 6, Twins 1 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 26 10:46 PM
- Victor Martinez ground-rule double to left center scored Austin Jackson and Ramon Santiago. On the play, Delmon Young advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 5, Twins 1 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 26 10:45 PM
- Delmon Young single to third scored Ryan Raburn. On the play, Ramon Santiago advances to second and Austin Jackson advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 3, Twins 1 Top 7, 1 OutAug 26 10:45 PM
- Victor Martinez sacrifice fly out to right scored Austin Jackson. On the play, Delmon Young advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 26 9:05 PM
- Delmon Young single to second scored Brandon Inge. On the play, Austin Jackson advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 1, Twins 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 26 9:01 PM
- Drew Butera single to right scored Danny Valencia. On the play, Rene Tosoni advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Ben Revere due up.
Tigers 0, Twins 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 26 8:53 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 8:11 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22