Martinez, Fister help Tigers down IndiansSep 5, 2011 - 10:09 PM
Fister (7-13) registered a career-high 13 strikeouts and surrendered just two runs -- one earned -- on four hits to secure the win.
Miguel Cabrera added an RBI for the Tigers, who were coming off a three-game sweep of the White Sox over the weekend.
Jose Valverde tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to remain perfect in 41 save opportunities this season.
Ubaldo Jimenez (2-2) was the hard-luck loser, allowing three runs on just two hits while fanning eight over seven frames.
"I thought both starters were great," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland. "Both starters were really good today and that was key. Our guy was just a little bit better than theirs."
Kosuke Fukudome hit a homer and Grady Sizemore returned from the disabled list to knock in a run for the Indians, who fell 7 1/2 games behind the AL Central- leading Tigers.
Jimenez did not allow a hit and struck out five through three innings but faltered as light rain began to fall in the fourth. Delmon Young singled with one down and Cabrera walked before Martinez belted his ninth home run of the season.
"I couldn't throw a strike to [Cabrera]," said Jimenez. "The pitch to [Martinez], I was trying to go away and I think it got too much of the plate."
The Indians squandered a bases-loaded, two-out situation in the third when Asdrubal Cabrera went down swinging, but manufactured a run in the fifth. Jason Donald led off with a single and reached second on Fister's wild pickoff attempt. Consecutive groundouts by Lou Marson and Sizemore allowed him to score.
Joe Smith spelled Jimenez in the eighth and allowed the Tigers to load the bases before Cabrera's groundout made it a 4-1 game.
A half-inning later, Fukudome's one-out blast to right-center capped the scoring.
Sizemore returned from the 15-day disabled list. He had surgery to repair a sports hernia on July 21, just four days after departing a game at Baltimore with a right knee contusion...The Indians were 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position.
- DETROIT: 4
Sep 5 3:40 PM
- Kosuke Fukudome one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right-center. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Tigers 4, Indians 2 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 5 3:16 PM
- Miguel Cabrera grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scoring Ramon Santiago with two out. Delmon Young out at second. Andy Dirks advances to third. Runners on first and third and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 4, Indians 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 5 3:06 PM
- Grady Sizemore grounded out short to first scoring Jason Donald with two out. None on and Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Tigers 3, Indians 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 5 2:24 PM
- Victor Martinez one-out, three-run Home Run (9) to right scored Delmon Young and Miguel Cabrera. Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 3, Indians 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 5 2:00 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 5 1:06 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22