Tigers power past TwinsSep 10, 2011 - 5:32 AM
The longballs helped Brad Penny (10-10) shake off a four-run first inning, while lowering the Tigers' magic number for winning the AL Central to 10.
Detroit, coming off sweeps of the White Sox and Indians, extended its first- place lead to 9 1/2 games over Chicago with its 41st divisional victory.
Kevin Slowey (0-5) was touched for six runs on seven hits in four innings to drop his fifth straight start.
"It's frustrating every time you have a lead that you can't hold," Slowey said. "I know it's tough on our hitters. I feel like I put us back on the eight ball."
The Twins, losers in six of their last seven, actually got off to a fast start by pushing four across in the first. Jason Kubel and Chris Parmelee each had RBI singles, and Danny Valencia found the gap in right for a two-run triple.
Undaunted, Detroit quickly cut the gap to 4-3 when Avila poked an opposite- field homer over the left-field wall in the second inning.
Slowey opened the fourth by plunking Avila, and two batters later Wilson Betemit's line drive into the right-field corner took a generous bounce, allowing Avila to score from first and Betemit to slide in with a triple.
Betemit was able to trot home when Santiago followed with his fifth home run, and Young greeted Kyle Waldrop with a leadoff round-tripper in the fifth.
Penny settled down after his first-inning woes and wound up going five innings, allowing a total of five hits and three walks.
"After the first inning I knew I had to throw zeroes up no matter what," Penny said.
Detroit relievers Daniel Schlereth and Ryan Perry combined for the sixth and seventh innings, Joaquin Benoit stranded a pair in the eighth, and Jose Valverde finished it off in the ninth after Brandon Inge tacked on a sacrifice fly in Detroit's final at-bat.
The game was delayed 51 minutes due to rain...Young is hitting .367 (11- for-30) with two homers and seven RBI in seven games against the Twins, who traded the outfielder in mid-August for a pair of prospects...Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera went 1-for-3 with a walk and has reached base in a career-best 35 straight games...Avila scored three runs...Slowey was 5-0 in his career vs. Detroit coming in...Valencia has a team-high 67 RBI.
- MINNESOTA: 4
Sep 9 10:42 PM
- Ramon Santiago lined into a double play to first. On the play, Jhonny Peralta out at first to end the inning.
Twins 4, Tigers 8 End 8Sep 9 10:34 PM
- Delmon Young lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Miguel Cabrera due up.
Twins 4, Tigers 7 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 9 9:25 PM
- Ramon Santiago one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Wilson Betemit. Austin Jackson due up.
Twins 4, Tigers 6 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 9 9:12 PM
- Wilson Betemit tripled to right scoring Alex Avila with one out. Runner on third and Ramon Santiago due up.
Twins 4, Tigers 4 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 9 9:12 PM
- Jhonny Peralta singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Wilson Betemit due up.
Twins 4, Tigers 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 9 8:37 PM
- Chris Parmelee singled to left scoring Danny Valencia with one out. Runner on first and Joe Benson due up.
Twins 4, Tigers 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 9 8:10 PM
- Danny Valencia tripled to right scoring Joe Mauer and Jason Kubel with one out. Runner on third and Chris Parmelee due up.
Twins 3, Tigers 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 9 8:07 PM
- Jason Kubel singled to right scoring Trevor Plouffe with one out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on first and third and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 9 8:04 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 9 7:56 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22