Inge's walkoff lifts Tigers over TwinsSep 10, 2011 - 11:58 PM
After Alex Avila grounded out and Jhonny Peralta was retired on a fly ball, Inge hit a 2-1 offering from Glen Perkins (4-4) over the left field wall to give Detroit two straight wins to open this three-game series.
Wilson Betemit also had a solo homer for the AL Central-leading Tigers, who have won eight in a row overall and remained 9 1/2 games ahead of Chicago for first place after the White Sox beat Cleveland in extra innings Saturday.
Joe Mauer homered and had two hits for the Twins, who have lost seven of their last eight and fell to 4-16 in their last 20.
Both starters fared well, but left with no-decisions.
Detroit's Max Scherzer pitched seven innings, giving up two runs on five hits and three walks while striking out six. Al Alburquerque (6-1) struck out two in a perfect ninth to earn the win.
Minnesota's Anthony Swarzak remained winless since August 3 after allowing two runs on four hits and two walks in six innings. He struck out six.
Betemit homered to right on a 3-2 changeup with one out in the third inning for a 1-0 Tigers lead, but Mauer led off the fourth with a blast to center to tie the game.
Andy Dirks hit a ground-rule double to center leading off the bottom of the fourth and scored on Victor Martinez's two-out single to make it 2-1. The Twins tied the game again, 2-2, in the sixth when Trevor Plouffe drew a leadoff walk, went to third on Mauer's single and scored on Danny Valencia's sacrifice fly.
The Tigers lead the season series 13-4...Swarzak is 0-3 in his last seven starts...Detroit hasn't won a division title since capturing the East in 1987.
- MINNESOTA: 2
Sep 10 7:05 PM
- Brandon Inge two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left to win the game.
Twins 2, Tigers 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 10 7:04 PM
- Chris Parmelee grounded into a double play, first to short to pitcher On the play, Joe Mauer out at second to end the inning.
Twins 2, Tigers 2 Mid 6Sep 10 5:57 PM
- Alex Avila grounded out to first to end the inning.
Twins 1, Tigers 2 End 4Sep 10 5:28 PM
- Joe Mauer lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 1, Tigers 1 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 10 5:08 PM
- Wilson Betemit one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Ramon Santiago due up.
Twins 0, Tigers 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 10 5:02 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 10 4:13 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22