Reimold helps Orioles edge TigersSep 23, 2011 - 4:26 AM
Reimold added a sacrifice fly in the fourth for the Orioles, who have won three in a row and eight of their last 10. Adam Jones and J.J. Hardy homered.
Baltimore starter Zach Britton (11-10) gave up five runs on six hits over five innings to pick up the win.
"A lot of teams will fold up after giving up a 5-0 lead, especially against a club like this," said Baltimore manager Buck Showalter. "But our guys showed their toughness tonight."
Delmon Young hit a three-run homer for the Tigers, who have lost two of three.
Detroit starter Jacob Turner allowed five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits over three-plus innings. David Pauley (5-6) gave up one run on two hits over two relief frames to take the loss.
"We got some things we wanted to but we didn't get the win," said Detroit manager Jim Leyland. "You know, we bounced back and played good, but you have to give them the credit tonight."
The O's took the lead for good in the sixth. Jones singled, stole second, moved to third on a groundout and crossed the plate on Reimold's infield single to third.
Jason Berken pitched two scoreless innings, Pedro Strop worked around a one- out double in the eighth and Kevin Gregg pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for his 21st save of the season.
The Orioles got on the board in the first inning. Hardy singled, moved to third on Nick Markakis' base hit and scored on Vladimir Guerrero's sacrifice fly.
Hardy's homer to left in the second made it a 2-0 game.
Baltimore tacked on three more runs in the fourth to build a 5-0 margin. Matt Wieters led off with a single and scored on Jones' homer to left. Mark Reynolds walked and Chris Davis reached first on Miguel Cabrera's fielding error. Reimold knocked in Reynolds with a sacrifice fly.
The Tigers got a run back in the home fourth. Young and Cabrera walked to start the frame. Young went to third on a wild pitch and scored on Victor Martinez's groundout.
Detroit added four runs in the fifth to tie the game. Brandon Inge walked and Omir Santos singled to get things going. The runners moved up a base on a sacrifice bunt. Magglio Ordonez hit an RBI single before Young homered to left for a 5-5 game.
Coming into Thursday's game, Britton had not allowed a home run in his last 40 2/3 innings pitched dating back to July 30. That streak came to an end when Britton gave up a homer to Young in the fifth. It was the longest homerless streak for a Baltimore starting pitcher since Daniel Cabrera went 56 2/3 innings without allowing a homer spanning the 2006 and 2007 seasons...The O's have taken four of seven from the Tigers this season.
- BALTIMORE: 6
Sep 22 9:41 PM
- Nolan Reimold singled in Adam Jones with two out. Runner on first and Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 6, Tigers 5 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 22 8:50 PM
- Miguel Cabrera lined out to left. None on with two outs and Victor Martinez due up.
Orioles 5, Tigers 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 22 8:39 PM
- Magglio Ordonez singled in Brandon Inge with one out. On the play, Omir Santos advances to third. Runners on first and third with Delmon Young due up.
Orioles 5, Tigers 2 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 22 8:34 PM
- Victor Martinez grounded into a double play, short to second to first scoring Delmon Young with two out. Miguel Cabrera out at second. None on and Ryan Raburn due up.
Orioles 5, Tigers 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 22 8:16 PM
- Nolan Reimold sacrifice fly out to center scored Mark Reynolds.. Runner on first with one out and Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 5, Tigers 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 22 8:03 PM
- Adam Jones none-out, two-run Home Run (24) to left scored Matt Wieters. Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 4, Tigers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 22 7:57 PM
- J.J. Hardy one-out, solo Home Run (29) to left. Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 2, Tigers 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 22 7:44 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero's sacrifice fly scores J.J. Hardy with two out. Runner on first with and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 22 7:12 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22