Martinez lifts Tigers over Orioles in extrasSep 24, 2011 - 4:02 AM
"He doesn't get too excited. He's pretty calm," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland of his veteran, unflappable catcher. "The guy got two quick strikes on him, and some players might say 'oh no,' but for him it was probably the best thing that happened. I leave the hitting to him, and I sit there and watch the game unfold."
Miguel Cabrera posted three hits including a two-run homer for the AL Central champions, who dropped the opener of the set on Thursday but rebounded to win for the fourth time in seven games.
Ryan Perry (1-0) turned in a scoreless top of the 11th for the win.
Vladimir Guerrero collected two hits and drove in a run for the Orioles, who had won three in a row and eight of 10. J.J. Hardy added three hits and scored twice in the setback.
Willie Eyre (2-2) was charged with the deciding run.
Eyre walked Brandon Inge -- for whom Worth was the pinch runner -- and served up a one-out single to Cabrera before exiting for Zach Phillips. Martinez greeted him with a hit down the line in left which scored Worth easily to end the contest.
Guerrero doubled in Hardy in the top of the first but was thrown out at third to end the inning. Detroit countered in the home half as Austin Jackson was hit by a pitch, stole second then scored on Cabrera's monster two-run shot to left.
"It's a good lineup and if you get those guys on base, it's tough to get through it," Wieters said of the meat of Detroit's order.
The O's led 3-2 in the fourth on a Nick Markakis sacrifice fly and a Matt Wieters RBI single, but the Tigers knotted the score in the fifth when Jhonny Peralta hit a leadoff double and scored on a one-out hit by Ramon Santiago.
Peralta fanned looking in the ninth with runners on first and second.
Perry gave up a leadoff double to Markakis and walked Guerrero in the 11th, but survived when Wieters grounded into a double play and Adam Jones grounded out.
Detroit starter Rick Porcello lasted seven innings, allowing nine hits and three runs, while Baltimore hurler Alfredo Simon gave up six hits and three runs over eight full frames...With the homer, Cabrera became just the fifth player in Tigers history to reach a total of 100-or-more walks, RBI and runs scored during a single season, joining Hank Greenberg (1937-38), Charlie Gehringer (1938), Rocky Colavito (1961) and Norm Cash (1961).
- BALTIMORE: 3
Sep 23 10:26 PM
- Victor Martinez singled in Danny Worth with one out to end the game.
Orioles 3, Tigers 4 Bot 11, 1 OutSep 23 10:26 PM
- Ramon Santiago singled in Jhonny Peralta with one out. Runner on first and Austin Jackson due up.
Orioles 3, Tigers 3 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 23 8:32 PM
- Matt Wieters singled in J.J. Hardy with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 3, Tigers 2 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 23 7:52 PM
- Nick Markakis' sacrifice fly scores Robert Andino with one out. Runner on second and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 2, Tigers 2 Top 3, 1 OutSep 23 7:49 PM
- Miguel Cabrera two-out, two-run Home Run (27) to left scored Austin Jackson. Victor Martinez due up.
Orioles 1, Tigers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 23 7:20 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero doubled in J.J. Hardy with two out. Vladimir Guerrero is thrown out at third to end the inning.
Orioles 1, Tigers 0 Mid 1Sep 23 7:12 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 23 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22