San Diego beats Cincinnati in the ninth, avoids sweepApr 14, 2011 - 7:18 AM
Nick Hundley and Jorge Cantu knocked in the other runs for the Padres, who avoided a sweep.
Heath Bell (1-0) picked up the win with a scoreless top of the ninth.
Joey Votto hit an RBI double for the Reds, who had won three of four coming in.
Nick Masset (0-3) took the loss and the blown save after allowing the winning run.
Masset walked pinch-hitter Brad Hawpe with one down in the ninth, then allowed a single to Hundley. Will Venable was given a free pass to load the bases before Jason Bartlett grounded into a force out at home.
Hudson then dumped a single to left to bring in Hundley with the winning run.
"It was a great win for us," Padres manager Bud Black said. "We kept at 'em and things went our way in the end."
Juan Francisco's fielder's choice grounder plated Votto in the fourth for a 1-0 Reds edge, then Votto's double in the fifth scored Drew Stubbs to double Cincinnati's advantage.
Hundley's pinch-hit sacrifice fly put the Padres on the board in the seventh, then Cantu's groundout in the home eighth brought in Hudson with the tying run.
Black was ejected in the fourth inning for arguing balls and strikes with home-plate umpire Angel Hernandez. It was his 12th career ejection, all with the Padres...Hudson's fifth career game-ending RBI also extended his hitting streak this season to nine games...Votto and Stubbs combined for five of Cincinnati's eight hits...Pads starter Tim Stauffer allowed six hits and two runs over 4 1/3 innings, and Reds hurler Travis Wood worked 6 2/3 frames and gave up five hits and one run.
- CINCINNATI: 2
SAN DIEGO: 3
Apr 13 9:37 PM
- Orlando Hudson singled to left scoring Nick Hundley with two outs to end the game.
Reds 2, Padres 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 13 9:37 PM
- Jorge Cantu's groundout from third to first scored Orlando Hudson. None on with two outs and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Reds 2, Padres 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 13 9:13 PM
- Jordan Smith enters the game for the Reds with runners on first and third and two outs.
Reds 2, Padres 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 13 8:48 PM
- Joey Votto doubled to left-center scoring Drew Stubbs. Runner on second with one out and Jonny Gomes due up.
Reds 2, Padres 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 13 7:58 PM
- Juan Francisco's fielder's choice from second to short scored Joey Votto. Runner on first with one out and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 1, Padres 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 13 7:35 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 13 6:39 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22