Home runs propel Marlins past RedsMay 2, 2011 - 2:27 AM
John Buck had a two-run blast, while Mike Stanton and Greg Dobbs each had a solo shot for Florida, which has won five of its last seven overall.
Ricky Nolasco (3-0) worked seven solid innings, yielding three runs on six hits and one walk while striking out five. Leo Nunez got the final two outs in the ninth to record his ninth save of the season.
"That's a good lineup over there," Nolasco said. "They took advantage of the mistakes I was making."
Jay Bruce slugged a two-run homer and Brandon Phillips added a solo shot for the Reds, who have dropped three of five and haven't won consecutive games since April 11-12 at San Diego.
Bronson Arroyo (3-3) was touched for seven hits and five runs with a pair of walks and fanned three over seven frames.
"The hard part today was we couldn't keep the ball in the ballpark," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "They hit some bombs off of us today."
Omar Infante drew a one-out walk in the first and crossed the plate on Ramirez's homer to left. Bruce got the runs back when he belted a two-run shot to right-center in the home half, but Dobbs put the Marlins back in front with a blast over the right-field wall leading off the second.
The slim lead held up until Phillips' one-out homer tied it in the sixth. However, Dobbs hit a leadoff single in the seventh and scored ahead of Buck's homer, putting the Marlins ahead 5-3.
Nolasco allowed Paul Janish to reach with a double to start the bottom of the seventh, but settled down to retire the next three batters.
Stanton put the Marlins ahead by three with a tremendous homer to straight away center in the eighth. Then later in the inning with two men on base, the light-hitting Bonifacio got in on the act and slugged a three-run shot that just cleared the right-field wall.
Brian Sanches entered to work the bottom of the ninth with the Marlins ahead 9-3 and surrendered a two-run double to pinch-hitter Chris Heisey with the bases loaded. Nunez was then summoned from the bullpen with one out and runners on second and third. The right-hander struck out Drew Stubbs and walked Bruce to re-load the bases before retiring Joey Votto on a comebacker to end the game.
Nolasco improved to 2-1 in seven career games -- six starts -- against Cincinnati...Arroyo fell to 0-3 lifetime in 10 games -- seven starts -- versus Florida... Bonifacio hit only his second career home run and first to clear the wall. His only other homer came on Opening Day 2009 which was an inside- the-park grand slam...Votto has reached base safely in all 28 games this season.
- FLORIDA: 9
May 1 7:04 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Heisey double to center scored Ryan Hanigan and Paul Janish with one out. Runners on second and third and Drew Stubbs due up.
Marlins 9, Reds 5 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 1 6:55 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Greg Dobbs and John Buck. Ricky Nolasco due up.
Marlins 9, Reds 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 1 6:18 PM
- Mike Stanton two-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 6, Reds 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 1 6:12 PM
- John Buck none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Greg Dobbs. Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Marlins 5, Reds 3 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 1 5:49 PM
- Brandon Phillips one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Jonny Gomes due up.
Marlins 3, Reds 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 1 5:41 PM
- Greg Dobbs lead-off Home Run (2) to right. John Buck due up.
Marlins 3, Reds 2 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 1 4:31 PM
- Jay Bruce none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right center scored Drew Stubbs. Joey Votto due up.
Marlins 2, Reds 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 1 4:22 PM
- Hanley Ramirez one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Omar Infante. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Marlins 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 1 4:14 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 1 4:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21