Astros clobber RedsMay 4, 2011 - 4:49 AM
Clint Barmes and Humberto Quintero each drove in a pair for Houston, which has won three in a row. Chris Johnson and Brett Wallace had a solo homer apiece for the victors.
J.A. Happ (2-4) went 6 1/3 innings, yielding four runs on eight hits. The lefty struck out five and walked one in snapping a three-game slide. Happ also added an RBI single and scored a run.
"I felt like that was the best stuff I've had all year so far," said Happ. "I thought the results could have been a little better than it ended up, but I'll take the [win].
"It was nice to break out the bat as well."
The teams were scheduled to get their series under way Monday night, but the game was postponed by rain. It will be made up at the tail end of the series on Thursday, which had been a scheduled day off for both sides.
Drew Stubbs had a two-run double for the Reds, who have dropped four of six.
Struggling with his command, Reds starter Mike Leake (3-1) was roughed up for seven runs on seven hits in only 3 2/3 innings to take the loss. The righty struck out five and walked one.
"My cutter wasn't doing anything. It stayed where I start it. Normally it breaks off," said Leake. "I didn't get ahead. A lot of 2-0 counts today. I just wasn't attacking them."
Brandon Phillips' sacrifice fly to deep center in the first got the Reds on the board, but Johnson belted a solo homer to straight-away center in the second to tie things.
Houston then put up a six-spot in the fourth to take control. Back-to-back singles and a walk loaded the bases with one out before Barmes brought in a pair with a double to center. Quintero chased in another with a ground out and Happ's RBI single made it a 5-1 game.
Leake was replaced by Jordan Smith after a Michael Bourn single, and Bourgeois greeted him with a two-run double to left.
Wallace hit a solo shot to left-center leading off the fifth and Quintero's sac fly later in the inning put the Astros ahead 9-1.
Stubbs answered with a two-run double in the home fifth and Edgar Renteria's RBI fielder's choice in the seventh got the Reds to within 9-4.
Johnson tripled with one out in the ninth and trotted home on Bill Hall's deep sac fly to right.
Astros left fielder Carlos Lee missed the game with sore left ribs and is listed as day-to-day...Lee suffered the injury on Sunday when he collided with teammate Angel Sanchez while pursuing a fly ball...Cincinnati took two of three from the Astros earlier in the season...Leake fell to 2-2 in five career starts against Houston.
- HOUSTON: 10
May 3 10:16 PM
- Bill Hall sacrifice fly out to right scored Chris Johnson. None on with two outs and Clint Barmes due up.
Astros 10, Reds 4 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 3 10:07 PM
- Edgar Renteria grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Ramon Hernandez. Runners on first and third with two outs and Joey Votto due up.
Astros 9, Reds 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 3 9:40 PM
- Drew Stubbs double to right center scored Ramon Hernandez and Jeremy Hermida. Runner on second with two outs and Edgar Renteria due up.
Astros 9, Reds 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 3 8:49 PM
- Humberto Quintero sacrifice fly to center scored Bill Hall. Runner on second with two outs and J.A. Happ due up.
Astros 9, Reds 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 3 8:37 PM
- Brett Wallace lead-off Home Run (2) to center. Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 8, Reds 1 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 3 8:27 PM
- Jason Bourgeois doubled to left scored J.A. Happ and Michael Bourn. Runner on second with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Astros 7, Reds 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 3 8:17 PM
- Michael Bourn singled to left. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jason Bourgeois due up.
Astros 5, Reds 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 3 8:13 PM
- Humberto Quintero grounded out short to first scored Bill Hall. Runner on third with two outs and J.A. Happ due up.
Astros 4, Reds 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 3 8:12 PM
- Clint Barmes doubled to right center scored Hunter Pence and Brett Wallace. Runners on second and third with one out and Humberto Quintero due up.
Astros 3, Reds 1 Top 4, 1 OutMay 3 8:10 PM
- Chris Johnson lead-off Home Run (3) to center. Bill Hall due up.
Astros 1, Reds 1 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 3 7:35 PM
- Brandon Phillips sacrifice fly to center scored Edgar Renteria. Runner on third with two outs and Jonny Gomes due up.
Astros 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 3 7:30 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 7:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21