Cabrera's career day leads Indians' rout of RedsMay 22, 2011 - 10:45 PM
It was Cabrera's first multi-home run game and five-hit performance. He also matched a career high in RBI for the Indians, who swept the three-game interleague set between Ohio rivals and have won six of their last eight games.
"Asdrubal Cabrera was a one-man show at the plate today," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "He had quality at-bats and he just took over. It was remarkable."
Michael Brantley had three hits and two RBI for Cleveland, which scored 12 runs on 13 hits. Carlos Carrasco (3-2) recorded the win, allowing four runs on six hits over six-plus innings.
Joey Votto had a solo home run and finished with two hits and two RBI in the loss, the Reds' season-high fifth straight.
Edinson Volquez (3-2) was roughed up for seven runs -- six earned -- on seven hits and four walks in just 2 2/3 innings to get the loss.
The Indians countered Votto's solo shot in the first with a two-run homer by Cabrera during the home half.
In the same inning with runners on the corners, the Reds' sloppy defense allowed Cleveland to plate both men for a 4-1 lead.
Chaos ensued when Ramon Hernandez caught Travis Buck stealing second. Shin-Soo Choo, who was on third, made a break toward home and second baseman Brandon Phillips went to home before tagging out Buck. With Choo retreating, Hernandez caught the ball and whipped it over third base Scott Rolen's head. The ball rolled all the way to the outfield fence, allowing both runners to score.
Cleveland's offense continued to put up runs during the next two innings. Choo had an RBI single in the second and two runs were pushed across in the third to chase Volquez.
Jay Bruce cut into the deficit with a solo shot in the fourth, and the Reds scored twice more in the sixth.
Chris Heisey and Votto had back-to-back doubles to score a run and Votto touched home on Phillips' groundout. However, Cabrera struck again with a solo shot during the bottom half to make it an 8-4 game.
"We hit some balls hard," Heisey said. "I think we had four or five hits that were right at them. Any other day they could have been doubles."
The Indians tacked on four runs in the seven, highlighted by Cabrera's RBI single to make up the final score.
The last Cleveland player to have at least five hits and five RBI in same game was Victor Martinez (five hits/seven RBI) on July 16, 2004...It's the Indians first sweep of their Ohio rivals since June 11-13, 2004...The Reds fell to 0-3 on a 10-game road trip and are 10-11 overall as visitors this season...Choo extended his hitting streak to nine games during the first inning with a double off the wall in left...The Indians learned before the game pitcher Alex White may be sidelined at least two months with a sprained ligament in his right middle finger. Following an MRI and visit with a hand specialist, White is projected to miss at least 8-to-12 weeks. He won't even resume throwing for another 3-to-4 weeks...The Indians lead the all-time series, 37-35.
- CINCINNATI: 4
May 22 4:13 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo sacrifice fly to left scored Michael Brantley with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Santana due up.
Reds 4, Indians 12 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 22 3:45 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to right scored Lou Marson with one out. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Reds 4, Indians 11 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 22 3:44 PM
- Michael Brantley double to right scored Jack Hannahan with one out. On the play, Lou Marson advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Reds 4, Indians 10 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 22 3:40 PM
- Jack Hannahan double to right scored Austin Kearns with one out. Runner on second with one out and Lou Marson due up.
Reds 4, Indians 9 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 22 3:35 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera lead off Home Run 2 (9) to right. Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Reds 4, Indians 8 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 22 3:09 PM
- Brandon Phillips groundout to short scored Joey Votto with one out. None on with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 4, Indians 7 Top 6, 1 OutMay 22 3:04 PM
- Joey Votto double to right scored Chris Heisey with none out. Runner on second with none out and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 3, Indians 7 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 22 3:01 PM
- Scott Rolen doubled to left. Runner on second with two outs and Fred Lewis due up.
Reds 2, Indians 7 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 22 2:34 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera stole second. Runner on second with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo at the plate.
Reds 1, Indians 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 22 2:22 PM
- Michael Brantley sacrifice fly to center scored Austin Kearns with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Reds 1, Indians 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 22 2:17 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo single to right scored Michael Brantley with none out. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Carlos Santana due up.
Reds 1, Indians 5 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 22 1:52 PM
- Travis Buck stole second, on the play Ramon Hernandez throwing error scored Shin-Soo Choo and Travis Buck. None on with one out and Orlando Cabrera at the plate.
Reds 1, Indians 4 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 22 1:33 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right center scored Michael Brantley. Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Reds 1, Indians 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 22 1:21 PM
- Joey Votto two-out, solo Home Run (6) to center. Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 22 1:12 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 22 1:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21