Dodgers come from behind to top Reds in 11 inningsJun 5, 2011 - 4:05 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Jamey Carroll went 4-for-5 and singled in the go-ahead run in the 11th inning to complete the Dodgers' 11-8 comeback win over the Reds in the middle installment of a three-game series.
Matt Kemp was instrumental in stopping Los Angeles' two-game skid, going 3- for-5 with two home runs and a career-high six RBI, including a game-tying grand slam in the eighth inning. Aaron Miles added three hits and three RBI for the victors.
"I think that was my first time getting six [RBI]. It was definitely a big game for me and I was happy we got the win. We needed that," said Kemp.
Reds starter Johnny Cueto was in line for the win after giving up two runs on five hits over seven innings, but his bullpen failed to hold a five-run lead.
Joey Votto hit a three-run homer off Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw, who was knocked around for a season-high six runs on six hits and two walks in 6 2/3 innings.
Nick Masset relieved Cueto in the eighth and was pulled after giving up an RBI single to Miles. Bill Bray walked the only batter he faced -- Andre Ethier -- to load the bases, setting the stage for Kemp.
On the second pitch he saw from Logan Ondrusek, Kemp went deep over the wall in left-center for sixth career grand slam, suddenly tying the game, 7-7.
"Yeah that was tough to take there. This game here can turn on you in a minute," said Reds manager Dusty Baker.
After Javy Guerra (1-0) stranded two runners in the away 10th, the Dodgers put runners on the corners against Carlos Fisher (0-3), and run-scoring hits by Carroll and Miles put them on top for good.
Ethier and Kemp each added RBI fielder's choices, insurance runs that proved vital as Cincinnati brought the tying run to the plate in the home half.
Paul Janish's RBI groundout brought the Reds within 11-8, and two-out singles by Chris Heisey and Drew Stubbs gave the hosts a chance. Ramon Troncoso, though, got Brandon Phillips to line out to right to end the game.
Dioner Navarro scored on Miles' sacrifice fly to give the Dodgers an early lead in the third inning.
The Reds scored their first seven runs with two outs, first pushing across four in the sixth to go ahead, 4-1.
With runners on first and second, Phillips singled to knock in Ramon Hernandez -- ending Kershaw's scoreless streak at 18 innings -- and Votto followed by sending a 1-2 slider over the wall in right for his eighth home run of the season.
Kemp led off the seventh with his 14th blast, and Cincinnati got three back in the bottom half when Heisey laced a pinch-hit, two-run single and scored on Stubbs' double to left.
Guerra was credited with his first career win in his eighth appearance out of the bullpen...Kershaw recorded nine strikeouts. He has not lost since April 26 at Florida...Before the game, the Dodgers placed shortstop Rafael Furcal and pitcher Jon Garland on the 15-day disabled list and recalled pitcher John Ely and second baseman Ivan De Jesus from Triple-A Albuquerque...The Dodgers are 5-0 in extra-inning games this season...The Reds have dropped their last three extra-inning affairs after winning their first four...Game time: 3:58.
- LOS ANGELES: 11
Jun 4 8:11 PM
- Chris Heisey singled to center. Runner on first with two outs and Drew Stubbs due up.
Dodgers 11, Reds 8 Bot 11, 2 OutsJun 4 8:06 PM
- Matt Kemp grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored Aaron Miles. Andre Ethier out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Javy Guerra due up.
Dodgers 11, Reds 7 Top 11, 2 OutsJun 4 7:47 PM
- Andre Ethier reached on a fielder's choice to pitcher. On the play, Aaron Miles advances to third and Carlos Fisher's throwing error on a force attempt scored Jamey Carroll. Runners on first and third with one out and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 10, Reds 7 Top 11, 1 OutJun 4 7:46 PM
- Aaron Miles singled to right scored Tony Gwynn Jr. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 9, Reds 7 Top 11, 1 OutJun 4 7:42 PM
- Jamey Carroll singled to center scored Juan Castro. On the play, Tony Gwynn Jr. advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Aaron Miles due up.
Dodgers 8, Reds 7 Top 11, 1 OutJun 4 7:41 PM
- Matt Kemp one-out, Grand Slam 2 (15) to left center scored Jamey Carroll, Aaron Miles and Andre Ethier. Casey Blake due up.
Dodgers 7, Reds 7 Top 8, 1 OutJun 4 6:29 PM
- Aaron Miles singled to center scored Tony Gwynn Jr. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to third on Drew Stubbs's fielding error. Runners on first and third with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 3, Reds 7 Top 8, 1 OutJun 4 6:21 PM
- Drew Stubbs doubled to left scored Chris Heisey. Runner on second with two outs and Brandon Phillips due up.
Dodgers 2, Reds 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 4 6:11 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Heisey singled to center scored Ramon Hernandez and Paul Janish. Runner on first with two outs and Drew Stubbs due up.
Dodgers 2, Reds 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 4 6:09 PM
- Matt Kemp lead-off Home Run (14) to right. Casey Blake due up.
Dodgers 2, Reds 4 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 4 5:52 PM
- Joey Votto two-out, three-run Home Run (8) to right scored Drew Stubbs and Brandon Phillips. Scott Rolen due up.
Dodgers 1, Reds 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 4 5:48 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to right scored Ramon Hernandez. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Joey Votto due up.
Dodgers 1, Reds 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 4 5:45 PM
- Aaron Miles sacrifice fly out to right scored Dioner Navarro. Runner on first with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 1, Reds 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 4 4:51 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 4 4:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22