Cueto pitches Reds past GiantsJun 10, 2011 - 7:32 AM
Cueto (3-2) held the defending champions to four hits while striking out eight and walking two to earn the victory.
"He got out of trouble twice with a runner on third," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of Cueto. "That's big when you can do that and get all the strikeouts. He's turning into that kind of pitcher."
Jonny Gomes went 3-for-4 with an RBI for the Reds, who were coming off a series win against the Cubs.
Madison Bumgarner (2-8) was once again a hard-luck loser, allowing one run on eight hits while striking out seven over seven full frames.
The Reds scored all of their runs with two outs, striking initially in the fourth inning when Scott Rolen doubled to keep the inning alive and scored on Gomes' dribbler up the middle.
The Reds added another run in the eighth, as Joey Votto doubled off Santiago Casilla and scored on a passed ball after a pair of walks.
Guillermo Mota was on the opposite end of the two-out rally in the ninth, surrendering an RBI single to Brandon Phillips.
The Giants, who had won six of eight coming in, went hitless in seven at-bats with men in scoring position. San Francisco went down in order against Nick Masset in the eighth and did the same in the ninth as Francisco Cordero posted his 12th save.
"They're trying too hard," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "We just have to get them to relax. They're pressing a little bit because of the tough times we're having right now, trying to get runs. Sometimes you want to be 'the guy' too much. That's what it looks like to me."
Bumgarner has had nine straight quality outings and just two wins to show for it...Miguel Tejada had two of San Francisco's four hits...Phillips and Votto each recorded two hits in the win.
- CINCINNATI: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Jun 10 1:10 AM
- Brandon Phillips single to right scored Chris Heisey with two outs. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to third. Runners on first and third and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 3, Giants 0 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 10 1:00 AM
- Joey Votto scored on a passed ball with two outs. Scott Rolen advances to second on a passed ball. Jay Bruce advances to third on a passed ball. Runners on second and third and Jonny Gomes at the plate.
Reds 2, Giants 0 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 10 12:38 AM
- Jonny Gomes single to center scored Scott Rolen with two outs. Runner on first and Edgar Renteria due up.
Reds 1, Giants 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 9 11:18 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 9 10:16 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21