Giants scratch out win over RedsJun 11, 2011 - 7:00 AM
Jose Arredondo (0-1) and Logan Ondrusek combined to walk the bases loaded in the final frame, and with two outs, Schierholtz lined one between third and short to send San Francisco to its fourth win in six games.
"When you have walks late in the game, they're certainly going to haunt you and they haunted us tonight," said Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker.
Miguel Tejada went 2-for-3 with a run scored and an RBI for the victors, while Ryan Hanigan had two hits and knocked in a run in a losing effort.
Brian Wilson (5-1) hurled a scoreless ninth to earn the win behind Ryan Vogelsong, who threw six quality innings, allowing two runs on eight hits.
Travis Wood had a similar line in his eight-inning start for Cincinnati, as he gave up two runs on 10 hits in a no-decision.
The Giants struck in their first at-bat after getting blanked, 3-0, in the series opener, as Tejada hit a ground-rule double and scored before Cody Ross got thrown out trying to stretch his two-out single into a double.
Scott Rolen helped get the run back in the fourth, tripling into the right- field gap to start the frame and scoring on Hanigan's base hit to right.
The Reds left two in scoring position that inning, but went ahead in the fifth as Brandon Phillips scored on Chris Heisey's bases-loaded groundout. Phillips reached base when Giants second baseman Freddy Sanchez dove for his grounder up the middle and subsequently suffered a dislocated right shoulder.
"We feel horrible for Freddy, but we'll keep fighting," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy, who said Sanchez will have an MRI on Saturday to determine how much time he will miss.
Chris Stewart bunted for a hit leading off the bottom half and came around for the tying run on Tejada's line drive down the left-field line.
Of the Giants' 29 home games, 18 have been decided by one run...Vogelsong had his string of six straight starts of allowing one run or fewer came to an end...Phillips ended with three hits.
- CINCINNATI: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Jun 11 1:27 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Nate Schierholtz singled to left scored Andres Torres with two out to end the game.
Reds 2, Giants 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 11 1:26 AM
- Miguel Tejada doubled to left scored Chris Stewart.. Runner on second with two outs and Brandon Crawford due up.
Reds 2, Giants 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 11 12:05 AM
- Chris Heisey grounded out to first scored Brandon Phillips. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to second and Joey Votto advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 2, Giants 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 10 11:53 PM
- Ryan Hanigan singled to right scored Scott Rolen. On the play, Chris Heisey advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Paul Janish due up.
Reds 1, Giants 1 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 10 11:27 PM
- Cody Ross singled to left scored Miguel Tejada. On the play, Ross was tagged out at second trying to advance to end the inning.
Reds 0, Giants 1 End 1Jun 10 10:30 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 10:16 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21