Giants earn split with RedsJun 13, 2011 - 6:02 AM
Huff finished with three hits and two RBI, while Cody Ross also knocked in a run for the Giants, who earned a split in the set.
Ramon Ramirez (2-0) turned in a scoreless seventh for the win, while Brian Wilson did the same in the ninth for his 18th save.
Scott Rolen and Edgar Renteria notched an RBI apiece for the Reds, who couldn't maintain the momentum from Saturday's 10-2 victory.
"We're not playing well or badly. We just expect more out of ourselves," Reds right fielder Jay Bruce said.
Jose Arredondo (0-2) was charged with two runs while retiring just one batter in the seventh inning.
Cincy starter Edinson Volquez held up his end of the bargain, allowing five hits and a pair of runs through six innings, but it all fell apart for the Reds in the home seventh, which began tied at 2-2.
Arredondo walked Chris Stewart, and after fanning Pat Burrell, gave up a double to Andres Torres. Miguel Tejada drew an intentional walk to load the bases, and Bill Bray came on.
Schierholtz lofted a fly to deep center to score the Giants' go-ahead run in Stewart then Huff stepped in and laced a single to left which brought in Torres for a 4-2 game.
Javier Lopez and Sergio Romo combined to hold the visitors off the board in the eighth, and Wilson worked around a two-out single from Ramon Hernandez to close out the victory.
"It's still early in the season, but every ballgame's important," Stewart said. "
A double from Rolen and sac fly from Renteria provided the Reds a 2-0 edge in the fourth.
That burst was all Giants starter Jonathan Sanchez gave up over his six-inning start, along with five hits, five walks and five strikeouts.
Schierholtz singled with one down in the home fourth and Huff chased him in with a double.
In the sixth, Schierholtz drew a leadoff walk, Huff singled and a Ross' fielder's choice grounder produced the tying run.
San Francisco travels to Arizona on Tuesday, while Cincinnati heads to Los Angeles on Monday...Volquez fanned five and issued three walks...There were a combined 12 bases on balls and 16 strikeouts, issued by a combined nine pitchers...These clubs do not meet again until July 29-31 in Cincinnati.
- CINCINNATI: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
Jun 12 11:32 PM
- Aubrey Huff singled to left scored Andres Torres. On the play, Miguel Tejada advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Cody Ross due up.
Reds 2, Giants 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 12 10:50 PM
- Nate Schierholtz sacrifice fly to center scored Chris Stewart. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Aubrey Huff due up.
Reds 2, Giants 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 12 10:47 PM
- Brandon Crawford grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. On the play, Cody Ross out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Reds 2, Giants 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 12 10:20 PM
- Aubrey Huff doubled to left scored Nate Schierholtz. Runner on second with one out and Cody Ross due up.
Reds 2, Giants 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 12 9:30 PM
- Edgar Renteria sacrifice fly to left scored Jay Bruce. Runners on first and second and with one out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Reds 2, Giants 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 12 9:22 PM
- Scott Rolen doubled to left scored Joey Votto. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Jonny Gomes due up.
Reds 1, Giants 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 12 9:18 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 8:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21