Votto's homer provides enough for Reds in LAJun 14, 2011 - 6:26 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Joey Votto belted a three-run home run and Bronson Arroyo added an RBI during a four-run seventh inning, which lifted the Cincinnati Reds over the Los Angeles Dodgers, 6-4, in the opener of a three- game set.
Arroyo (5-6) allowed four runs on six hits through 7 2/3 innings. He registered just one strikeout, but did not administer a walk.
After walking Matt Kemp, Francisco Cordero struck out the side to record his 13th save of the season.
In dropping his fifth consecutive decision, Hiroki Kuroda (5-8) allowed four runs -- two earned -- on seven hits while striking out six over 6 1/3 innings. Like Arroyo, Kuroda did not issue a walk.
"[Kuroda] kept us in the game," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "He's throwing the ball well. Except for that home run. But he seems to be snake-bit right now."
James Loney went 2-for-4 with an RBI for the Dodgers, which saw their two-game win streak come to a halt.
The Dodgers jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first as Loney's single up the middle plated Andre Ethier.
Chris Heisey began the second with a single. Miguel Cairo then rolled a grounder to second. Aaron Miles flipped the ball to Dee Gordon, who, in his haste to turn the double play, failed to touch the bag before throwing to first for the force. Two batters later, Paul Janish capitalized, knocking Heisey in with a single to center.
In the fourth, consecutive singles by Matt Kemp and Loney placed runners on the corners with no outs. Kemp then crossed the plate as Juan Uribe grounded into a double play, giving the Dodgers a 2-1 lead.
The Reds tied the game in the sixth on a two-out Heisey home run to left, then broke the game open the following winning.
Janish reached second with one down due to a throwing error by Miles, and Arroyo gave Cincinnati the lead and chased Kuroda from the game with a single to right. After a Drew Stubbs pop out, Brandon Phillips drew a walk, setting the stage for Votto, who blasted a Matt Guerrier fastball over the wall in right-center.
"We hit the ball hard today," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "[Votto] is very confident. He studies. He's a pleasure to be around."
The Dodgers added two in the eighth as Gordon plated Tony Gwynn Jr. with a triple and scored on a Miles sac fly.
The win marked just the second in the last nine outings for Arroyo...The Dodgers were 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position...Entering Monday's game, the Dodgers led the National League in the month of June with 5.55 runs per game.
- CINCINNATI: 6
LOS ANGELES: 4
Jun 14 1:12 AM
- Aaron Miles sacrifice fly to left scored Dee Gordon. None on with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Reds 6, Dodgers 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 14 12:43 AM
- Dee Gordon tripled to right scored Tony Gwynn Jr.. Runner on third with one out and Aaron Miles due up.
Reds 6, Dodgers 3 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 14 12:41 AM
- Joey Votto two-out, three-run Home Run (9) to right center scored Bronson Arroyo and Brandon Phillips. Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 6, Dodgers 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 14 12:13 AM
- Bronson Arroyo singled to right scored Paul Janish. Runner on first with one out and Drew Stubbs due up.
Reds 3, Dodgers 2 Top 7, 1 OutJun 14 12:03 AM
- Chris Heisey two-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Miguel Cairo due up.
Reds 2, Dodgers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 13 11:50 PM
- Juan Uribe grounded into a double play, third to second to first scored Matt Kemp. James Loney out at second. None on with two outs and Dioner Navarro due up.
Reds 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 13 11:24 PM
- Paul Janish singled to center scored Chris Heisey. Runner on first with two outs and Bronson Arroyo due up.
Reds 1, Dodgers 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 13 10:44 PM
- James Loney singled to center scored Andre Ethier. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Reds 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 13 10:31 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 13 10:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22