Reds nip reeling DodgersJun 15, 2011 - 6:15 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Joey Votto's eighth-inning RBI single and Johnny Cueto's masterful performance lifted the Cincinnati Reds to a 3-2 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the second of a three-game set.
With one down and runners on the corners, Votto ripped a Scott Elbert offering into right-center to score Miguel Cairo and break a 1-1 tie.
Over seven innings, Cueto (4-2) allowed just one unearned run on five hits and a walk while striking out five.
"[Cueto] was dealing," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "He was electric. He definitely deserved to win tonight."
Drew Stubbs added an RBI single in the ninth, which proved essential, as the Dodgers cut their deficit to one in the home half on a James Loney RBI single.
Francisco Cordero settled down, however, to record his 14th save of the season.
Blake Hawksworth (1-2) suffered the loss, charged with Votto's go-ahead hit.
Los Angeles wasted a gem from Clayton Kershaw, who went seven innings, allowing one run on four hits and two walks, while striking out four.
"[Kershaw] was good," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "He was solid. He really pitched well. [Cueto] had great stuff. We just weren't able to crack through him."
The Reds have taken the first two games of this series and have won six of their last nine, while the Dodgers have dropped five of seven.
Dee Gordon began the home first with a single and advanced to second on a Jamey Carroll walk. Andre Ethier followed with a grounder to short and, after getting the force at second, Phillips threw the ball wide of Votto, allowing Gordon to score.
Scott Rolen's two-out double in the fourth scored Stubbs, evening the game at one apiece.
Kershaw was lifted in favor of Hawksworth to start the eighth and Cairo showed his appreciation with a leadoff single. A Stubbs bunt moved Cairo to second before Phillips' single put runners on the corners. Elbert then relieved Hawksworth, only to surrender the decisive single to Votto.
Logan Ondrusek threw a scoreless eighth for the Reds and Ramon Hernandez and pinch-hitter Fred Lewis reached on a walk and a single, respectively, in the top of the ninth before Stubbs slapped a ball between first and second, scoring pinch-runner Mike Leake.
Matt Kemp drew a one-out walk in the home half and promptly stole second, then scored on Loney's single to left. Pinch-runner Trent Oeltjen stole second on pinch-hitter Casey Blake's strikeout before Rod Barajas popped out to end the game.
Cueto earned the first win of his career over the Dodgers, improving to 1-3 lifetime against Los Angeles...Monday's game marked the 100th career start for both Cueto and Kershaw...The Dodgers have gone 13-4 against the Reds at Dodger Stadium since 2006...Los Angeles went 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position.
- CINCINNATI: 3
LOS ANGELES: 2
Jun 15 1:13 AM
- James Loney single to left scored Matt Kemp with one out. Runner on first and Mike MacDougal due up.
Reds 3, Dodgers 2 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 15 1:08 AM
- Drew Stubbs single to right scored Mike Leake with two outs. On the play, Fred Lewis advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 3, Dodgers 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 15 12:56 AM
- Joey Votto single to right center scored Miguel Cairo with one out. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 2, Dodgers 1 Top 8, 1 OutJun 15 12:29 AM
- Scott Rolen double to left scored Drew Stubbs with two outs. On the play, Jay Bruce was thrown out at home to end the inning.
Reds 1, Dodgers 1 Mid 4Jun 14 11:13 PM
- Matt Kemp grounded into a double play, third to second to first On the play, Andre Ethier out at second to end the inning.
Reds 0, Dodgers 1 End 1Jun 14 10:28 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 14 10:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22