Rolen slugs Reds to sweep of DodgersJun 15, 2011 - 11:01 PM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Scott Rolen went 3-for-5 and drove in three runs as the Cincinnati Reds completed a three-game sweep of the Los Angeles Dodgers with a 7-2 win.
Fred Lewis and Ryan Hanigan each knocked in two runs for the Reds, who haven't swept the Dodgers in Los Angeles since May 14-16, 2004.
Travis Wood (5-4) shook off a rough start for the Reds and lasted six innings. He gave up just one run on five hits and five walks.
Juan Uribe and Marcus Thames each drove in a run for the Dodgers, who start a lengthy 12-game homestand with three-straight losses.
LA starter Chad Billingsley (5-6) was knocked around for seven runs on nine hits and four walks in just four innings on the bump.
Wood had some control issues in the opening inning, which resulted in the Dodgers' first run. After surrendering a two-out double to Andre Ethier, Wood walked Matt Kemp, Uribe and Thames to force Ethier home.
"It was a rough first," Wood said. "But I settled down after that. It was a battle all day. Jonny Gomes played outstanding and we had a couple of clutch hits."
However, Cincinnati would post seven runs through the next three innings to take control of the game.
During the top of the second, Brandon Phillips scored on a double from Rolen, who later crossed home on Lewis' double that landed just inside the left line.
The Reds added to the lead with a four-run third.
Four of the first five batters of the inning recorded a single, as Rolen's single into left plated Edgar Renteria. After the stretch of singles that left the bases loaded, Lewis drew a walk to plate Joey Votto. Hanigan followed up with two-run single that slipped through the left side to finish the scoring burst.
Rolen's RBI double down the left line tacked on another run in the fourth.
"It's frustrating. We scored early and we gave it right back," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "Chad has plenty of weapons, but he was giving the guys too much to hit."
The Reds kept the Dodgers off the board after the first with solid defense and good pitching from Wood. Gomes highlighted the defense with a sprawling catch down the left line, robbing James Loney and stranding two Dodgers too end the third.
LA drew zeros across the board until the seventh when Jamey Carroll scored on Uribe's ground out to make up the final score.
During the game, the Reds and Dodgers donned jerseys from the 1940's. The Dodgers' uniforms of that era were made of a highly reflective satin fabric to make them more visible under the lights for night games. The Reds uniforms are from 1944, the year Joe Nuxhall made his Major League debut at the age of 15...Reds manager Dusty Baker celebrated his 62nd birthday on Wednesday...Cincinnati finished 5-2 on a West Coast trip, its first winning trip to the West since 2004.
- CINCINNATI: 7
LOS ANGELES: 2
Jun 15 6:23 PM
- Juan Uribe ground out short to first scored Jamey Carroll with two out. Runner on second and Marcus Thames due up.
Reds 7, Dodgers 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 15 5:46 PM
- Scott Rolen double to left scored Brandon Phillips with two out. Runner on second and Jonny Gomes due up.
Reds 7, Dodgers 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 15 4:42 PM
- Ryan Hanigan single to left scored Scott Rolen and Jonny Gomes with one out. On the play, Fred Lewis advances to second. Runners on first and second with Travis Wood due up.
Reds 6, Dodgers 1 Top 3, 1 OutJun 15 4:19 PM
- Fred Lewis walk scored Joey Votto with one out. Bases loaded with Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 4, Dodgers 1 Top 3, 1 OutJun 15 4:17 PM
- Scott Rolen single to left scored Edgar Renteria with one out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second with Jonny Gomes due up.
Reds 3, Dodgers 1 Top 3, 1 OutJun 15 4:11 PM
- Fred Lewis double to left scored Scott Rolen with one out. Runner on second and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 2, Dodgers 1 Top 2, 1 OutJun 15 3:44 PM
- Scott Rolen double to center scored Brandon Phillips with none out. Runner on second and Jonny Gomes due up.
Reds 1, Dodgers 1 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 15 3:40 PM
- Marcus Thames walk scored Andre Ethier with two out. Bases loaded and James Loney due up.
Reds 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 15 3:31 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 3:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22