Blue Jays blank RedsJun 19, 2011 - 2:52 AM
Jose Molina recorded a solo home run and a double while Rajai Davis added a triple for the Jays, who have won four of their last five games.
Morrow (3-4) yielded only five hits, fanned six and walked one.
Jay Bruce and Scott Rolen had two hits apiece for the Reds, who have lost two in a row after sweeping their previous series.
Edinson Volquez (4-3) went five innings in defeat for Cincinnati, giving up four runs on seven hits while walking two and striking out eight.
Yunel Escobar led off the third for Toronto with a double and scampered home on a wild throwing error by Volquez to give the Jays a 1-0 lead.
Toronto added to its lead in the fourth. Molina led off with his solo shot, his second home run of the 2011 campaign, and Davis followed by ripping a triple deep off the center field wall. Davis then scored on a sacrifice fly by Jayson Nix to push the Jays' lead to 3-0.
Corey Patterson led off the Jays' fifth with a double to left and scored on a sharp single up the middle by Jose Bautista to expand Toronto's lead to 4-0. Volquez rallied to strikeout Davis to end the inning, despite a balk, which put runners on second and third with two outs.
Cincinnati finally mounted a threat against Morrow in the seventh when Rolen laced a single to center and Chris Heisey was plunked with a Morrow pitch, putting runners on first and second with one out. Jason Frasor was called upon from the Toronto bullpen to face Edgar Renteria with two down and the bases loaded. He got Renteria to fly out to right and end the inning.
Jon Rauch tossed two scoreless innings to finish off the Reds.
Prior to Saturday's action, Reds first baseman Joey Votto received the Lou Marsh Award as the 2010 Canadian Athlete of the Year...Cincinnati is 20-17 at home this year...Adam Lind's streak of four consecutive games with a home run was snapped...Toronto is 8-3 all-time against the Reds.
- TORONTO: 4
Jun 18 10:06 PM
- Adam Lind struck out swinging. Runner on first with one out and Aaron Hill due up.
Blue Jays 4, Reds 0 Top 5, 1 OutJun 18 8:35 PM
- Jayson Nix sacrifice fly out to left scored Rajai Davis. None on with one out and Brandon Morrow due up.
Blue Jays 3, Reds 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 18 8:18 PM
- Jose Molina lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 2, Reds 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 18 8:14 PM
- Corey Patterson reached first on Edinson Volquez's throwing error which scored Yunel Escobar. Corey Patterson thrown out at third base. None on with one out and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 1, Reds 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 18 7:57 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 18 7:11 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21