Super Nova leads Yankees over RedsJun 21, 2011 - 3:17 AM
It took three more Yankees pitchers to finish the job.
Nova struck out seven in a four-hit performance Monday night, and the Yankees finally turned to Mariano Rivera in the ninth inning to close the door on a 5-3 victory over Cincinnati.
Nova (7-4) gave up one run -- in the first inning -- and didn't walk a batter, improving to 6-2 in his last eight decisions.
"It looked like he felt confident even though he had to battle in the first inning," said Yankees catcher Russell Martin. "After that, it looked like a piece of cake for him. Even after he got behind in the count, he wasn't afraid to go after them."
Nova left with a 5-1 lead and the Reds scored two in the bottom of the ninth before Rivera pitched himself out of trouble for his 18th save.
Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano had two hits apiece and both knocked in runs during New York's four-run first inning against fill-in Reds starter Travis Wood.
The Yankees padded their lead in a sloppy defensive eighth inning by Cincinnati and moved to 9-2 in their last 11 games.
Wood (5-5) took the hill after scheduled starter Johnny Cueto was scratched because of a stiff neck. He gave up four runs, eight hits and a walk while striking out six in seven innings.
New York reliever Luis Ayala gave up a leadoff single to Brandon Phillips in the bottom of the ninth and was yanked for Boone Logan, who hit Joey Votto with his only pitch. Rivera came on and got an out before surrendering an RBI single to Scott Rolen.
Chris Heisey grounded into a force out, scoring another run, but Rivera struck out pinch-hitter Edgar Renteria to end the game.
The Reds have lost three of their last four games, while Wood dropped to 4-2 in his last six decisions. He settled down after facing eight batters in the first inning, but the damage was done.
"I felt good," said Wood. "I just tried to put that first inning behind me."
Four batters knocked in runs during the rally: Rodriguez and Andruw Jones had RBI singles, Cano hit an RBI double and Rodriguez scored on Martin's ground out.
Cincinnati got a run back in the bottom of the first when Drew Stubbs led off with a single, stole second base, moved to third on Phillips' single and scored when Votto grounded into a double play.
But Nova dominated the Reds in his final seven innings, surrendering just a single to Paul Janish in the fifth and a base hit to Fred Lewis in the eighth.
The Yankees scored in the top of the eighth when Curtis Granderson walked and made it around the infield on errors. He stole second base and moved to third when Janish missed the throw, then scored on Jose Arredondo's wild pitch.
The Reds are still 4-3 against the Yankees since interleague play began. They won two out of three in series during the 2003 and '08 seasons...Nova was 0- for-3 in his first career MLB at-bats...The Yankees are 9-2 in their last 11 road games...Rodriguez, who is battling a sore left shoulder, was taken out for a pinch-runner after hitting a single in the eighth inning. "I don't think there's a guy in Major League Baseball who feels 100 percent right now," he said, "and I'm no exception"...Jones appeared to jog to first base as he grounded into a double play to end the third inning. He said afterward that he has a balky ankle that gives him trouble from time to time. "I rolled it so many times. Those things happen," he said.
- NEW YORK: 5
Jun 20 9:56 PM
- Chris Heisey grounded into a fielder's choice, pitcher to short scoring Joey Votto with two out. Scott Rolen out at second. Runner on first and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Yankees 5, Reds 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 20 9:53 PM
- Scott Rolen single to short scored Brandon Phillips with one out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to third. Runners on first and third with Chris Heisey due up.
Yankees 5, Reds 2 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 20 9:52 PM
- Jose Arredondo's wild pitch scored Curtis Granderson with one out. None on and Alex Rodriguez at the plate.
Yankees 5, Reds 1 Top 8, 1 OutJun 20 9:17 PM
- Joey Votto grounded into a double play, second to short to first scoring Drew Stubbs with two out. Brandon Phillips out at second. None on and Jay Bruce due up.
Yankees 4, Reds 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 20 7:35 PM
- Andruw Jones single to center scored Robinson Cano with two out. Runner on first and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Yankees 4, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 20 7:25 PM
- Russell Martin ground out short to first scored Alex Rodriguez with two out. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to third. Runner on third and Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 3, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 20 7:24 PM
- Robinson Cano double to left scored Mark Teixeira with one out. On the play, Alex Rodriguez advances to third. Runners on second and third with Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 20 7:20 PM
- Alex Rodriguez single to left scored Nick Swisher with one out. On the play, Mark Teixeira advances to second. Runners on first and second with Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 20 7:18 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 7:10 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21