Lee's HR in 12th sends O's past RedsJun 25, 2011 - 3:45 AM
Jose Arredondo (0-3) allowed the decisive blast for the Reds, who have lost five of seven.
Michael Gonzalez (1-1) was credited with the win, as the Orioles snapped a two-game skid.
With two down and Joey Votto on first in the top of the 12th, Gonzalez allowed Jay Bruce to lace a shot to center. The ball rolled under the glove of the diving Adam Jones, but the centerfielder recovered to throw a strike to shortstop J.J. Hardy, who turned and cut down Votto at the plate, preserving the tie.
Lee continued the momentum, sending a 1-2 slider into the seats in left to register the game winner.
The result spoiled a scrappy effort from the Reds, who battled back from a 4-0 deficit.
The Orioles initially struck in the second, as Lee led off with a walk and advanced to third on Matt Wieters' ground-rule double. After a Mark Reynolds strikeout, Blake Davis recorded the first hit of his career -- a triple off the base of the wall in right -- which plated Lee and Wieters for a 2-0 edge.
Jones extended Baltimore's lead to three with a leadoff shot to center in the third.
Wieters led off the fourth with his second ground-rule double of the game. After Reynolds and Davis were retired, Hardy came through with a shattered- bat, bloop single over short to score Wieters.
With men on first and second and two down in the fifth the Reds finally answered, as Brandon Phillips belted a double down the right field line to cut the Orioles' advantage in half. Votto followed with a double to left-center which scored Phillips. Scott Rolen then was retired as Davis made a nifty over-the-shoulder grab to end the inning.
After Luke Scott drew a one-out walk, Lee knocked a double to left, effectively chasing Cincinnati starter Edinson Volquez from the game in the bottom of the fifth. Sam LeCure spelled Volquez and sandwiched a pair of strikeouts between a Reynolds intentional walk to escape unscathed.
Volquez lasted 4 1/3 innings. allowing four runs on seven hits and five walks.
Jason Berken replaced O's starter Chris Jakubauskas to begin the sixth and allowed a two-out game-tying RBI single from Paul Janish.
The Reds continued to apply pressure in the seventh, placing runners on second and third with two down. Jonny Gomes then beat a Jim Johnson offering into the dirt in front of the plate, but Johnson was able to field the ball as it rolled up the third base line and nail Gomes by a step at first to keep Cincinnati off the board.
Jakubauskas yielded five hits and three runs over five full frames...Previously, the Reds had never played at Camden Yards...The Orioles recorded their 21st home win of the season after not registering their 21st home win in 2010 until August 5...Jones has driven in at least one run in six straight games...Baltimore outfielder Nick Markakis extended his hit streak to 14 games.
- CINCINNATI: 4
Jun 24 11:02 PM
- Chris Heisey struck out swinging to end the inning.
Reds 4, Orioles 4 Mid 6Jun 24 9:09 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero popped out to second. None on with one out and Luke Scott due up.
Reds 3, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 24 8:43 PM
- Brandon Phillips doubled to right scored Ramon Hernandez and Chris Heisey. Runner on second with two outs and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 2, Orioles 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 24 8:36 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to center. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Reds 0, Orioles 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 24 8:26 PM
- Adam Jones lead-off Home Run (12) to center. Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Reds 0, Orioles 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 24 8:05 PM
- J.J. Hardy walked. Runners on first and third with one out and Nick Markakis due up.
Reds 0, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 24 7:47 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 24 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21