Reds top Giants in 13thJul 30, 2011 - 6:27 AM
Brian Wilson (6-3) walked Jay Bruce to open the 13th, then gave up a one-out single to Jose Arredondo in the reliever's first career at-bat.
"We got a big walk out of Bruce and a big first hit out of Arredondo," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "[Arredondo] was lucky it bounced over [Pablo Sandoval's] head."
In stepped Renteria, last year's World Series MVP with the Giants. On a 1-2 pitch, Renteria slapped an opposite-field line drive against his former teammate that stayed fair along the right-field line, allowing Bruce to come around and snap Cincinnati's four-game slide.
"[Renteria] threw his bat at it and placed it perfectly on the line. Can't do much about that," Wilson said.
Arredondo (2-3) was credited with the win for tossing a scoreless inning of relief behind starter Dontrelle Willis, who threw six quality frames.
Aubrey Huff went 2-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored for San Francisco, which was coming off a series win over the Phillies.
Aaron Rowand opened the game with a double and scored on Carlos Beltran's first hit in a Giants uniform, narrowly sliding in safely in front of Fred Lewis' throw from left.
The Reds put their first three hitters on in the bottom half and took the lead on Brandon Phillips' sacrifice fly and Bruce's RBI single. A Drew Stubbs run- scoring groundout in the second made it 3-1.
In the away sixth, Willis walked a pair around a Pablo Sandoval single to load the bases, but limited the damage to Huff's sacrifice fly.
Bill Bray was unable to hold the slim lead in the eighth, as Huff came around to score from first on Eli Whiteside's double into the left-field gap, which came on an 0-2 fastball that caught too much of the plate.
Both teams wasted bases-loaded chances in the 10th. Mike Fontenot struck out to end the Giants' half, and Joey Votto was thrown out at home trying to score on pinch-hitter Todd Frazier's short fly to left.
Giants starter Ryan Vogelsong also went six innings and gave up three runs on seven hits. He hasn't lost since May 26...Willis is still looking for his first win since June 5 of last year...The Giants fell to 28-14 in one-run games...Lewis and Sandoval each had three hits for their respective clubs.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Jul 29 11:36 PM
- Edgar Renteria singled to right scored Jay Bruce to win the game.
Giants 3, Reds 4 Bot 13, 1 OutJul 29 11:36 PM
- Eli Whiteside doubled to left scored Aubrey Huff. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Fontenot due up.
Giants 3, Reds 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 29 9:42 PM
- Aubrey Huff sacrifice fly out to center scored Carlos Beltran. Runners on first and second and with one out and Eli Whiteside due up.
Giants 2, Reds 3 Top 6, 1 OutJul 29 8:56 PM
- Drew Stubbs grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Paul Janish. Dontrelle Willis out at second. Runner on first with one out and Fred Lewis due up.
Giants 1, Reds 3 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 29 7:54 PM
- Jay Bruce singled to right scored Fred Lewis. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Miguel Cairo due up.
Giants 1, Reds 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 29 7:32 PM
- Brandon Phillips sacrifice fly out to center scored Drew Stubbs. Runners on first and second and with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Giants 1, Reds 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 29 7:29 PM
- Carlos Beltran singled to left scored Aaron Rowand. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 29 7:14 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 29 7:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21