Reds score five in first, top GiantsJul 31, 2011 - 6:04 AM
Brandon Phillips and Miguel Cairo each drove in a run for the Reds, who have won the first two games of this set since dropping four in a row.
Leake (9-6) allowed two runs -- one earned -- on eight hits to pick up his first win since July 3. The right-hander struck out seven and walked zero.
"The heat kind of got to them [San Francisco] a bit," Leake said.
Pablo Sandoval went 3-for-5 with a solo homer for the Giants, who had won each of their previous five series.
Madison Bumgarner (6-10) gave up seven runs -- five earned -- on seven hits over four innings to suffer his first loss since June 21. He struck out four and walked three.
Bumgarner, who turns 22 on Monday, came into Saturday's game with two walks or less in 19 straight starts.
"It was hard to grip the ball [because of the heat]," Bumgarner said. "I had to slow down and keep my heart rate down."
The Reds jumped all over Bumgarner in the first inning. Edgar Renteria doubled and Joey Votto singled to put men on the corners with one out. Phillips followed with an RBI single to left. Cairo was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Bruce and Heisey both added two-run singles to make it a 5-0 game. Bumgarner went on to load the bases with two outs, but Renteria struck out looking to end the long inning.
Sandoval got the Giants on the board with a solo homer to right in the second.
Cincinnati added two more runs in the fourth. Drew Stubbs hit a one-out single and then moved to second on a balk. Renteria then reached base on catcher Sandoval's throwing error, and Stubbs scored. Phillips worked a two-out walk to put men on first and second. Cairo followed with an RBI single to left for a 7-1 edge.
San Francisco was able to get a run back in the fifth. Chris Stewart reached first on shortstop Renteria's fielding error and moved to second on Andres Torres' single. Jeff Keppinger reached base on another Renteria error, which allowed Stewart to score.
The Giants loaded the bases with one out in the seventh. Bill Bray took over on the mound for Leake and got out of the jam. Carlos Beltran flied out and Sandoval grounded out to keep it a 7-2 contest.
The visitors continued to struggle with runners in scoring position in the eighth, stranding runners on the corners.
For good measure, the Giants left men on second and third in the ninth.
The Reds have taken four of six from the Giants this season...San Francisco went 2-for-14 with runners in scoring position and stranded 12...The Giants had 11 hits, compared to seven for Cincinnati.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Jul 30 10:23 PM
- Jeff Keppinger reached first on Edgar Renteria's fielding error scoring Chris Stewart with two out. On the play, Andres Torres advances to third. Runners on first and third with Carlos Beltran due up.
Giants 2, Reds 7 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 30 8:41 PM
- Jay Bruce flied out to right to end the inning.
Giants 1, Reds 7 End 4Jul 30 8:33 PM
- Edgar Renteria reached second on Pablo Sandoval's throwing error scoring Drew Stubbs with one out. Runner on second and Joey Votto due up.
Giants 1, Reds 6 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 30 8:22 PM
- Pablo Sandoval lead-off Home Run (11) to right. Nate Schierholtz due up.
Giants 1, Reds 5 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 30 7:41 PM
- Chris Heisey single to center scored Miguel Cairo and Jay Bruce with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Giants 0, Reds 5 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:31 PM
- Jay Bruce single to center scored Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips with one out. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to second on Andres Torres's fielding error. Runners on second and third with Chris Heisey due up.
Giants 0, Reds 3 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:28 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 7:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21