Astros beat Reds in 10 inningsAug 2, 2011 - 4:36 AM
Humberto Quintero and pinch-hitter Angel Sanchez singled off Reds reliever Logan Ondrusek (4-4), and Brian Bogusevic was intentionally walked to put a runner at every base.
Altuve grounded a ball to second baseman Brandon Phillips, but Reds catcher Ryan Hanigan dropped the throw, allowing Quintero to cross the plate with the winning run.
Mark Melancon (6-3) worked two innings of scoreless relief to earn the victory.
Quintero collected two hits, including a double, and Jimmy Paredes cracked a two-run triple in his first major league plate-appearance for the Astros, who have won only three of their past 10 contests.
Joey Votto smacked an RBI double and Drew Stubbs added two hits for the Reds, who have gone 5-5 over their past 10 games.
Houston opened the scoring in the second inning, plating three runs. With runners on first and second, Paredes cracked a triple for the first runs of the game. Quintero smacked an RBI double to plate the third run of the frame.
The Reds came back with two runs in the third. Stubbs led off the inning with a single and stole second to give Cincinnati a runner in scoring position with no outs. Following a Miguel Cairo groundout, Votto ripped an RBI double to left and Philips drove home Votto with a single to make it a 3-2 contest.
Cincinnati used three consecutive singles to load the bases with no outs in the fifth. Jay Bruce then grounded into a double play allowing Cairo to cross the plate and tie the game at three. Yonder Alonzo walked to put runners on the corners with two outs. Bud Norris fought back however, and got Hanigan to pop out to keep the game tied and avoid a huge inning.
Monday kicked off a six-game homestand for the Astros...Houston is 18-36 this season at home and is 6-11 since the All-Star break...Quintero cracked his eighth double of the season in the second inning...The Astros are 3-5 in extra-inning games...Paredes became the first player in Houston Astros history to triple in his first plate appearance...Norris gave up three runs on 10 hits while walking three and fanning two. He was removed in the sixth inning with a blister on his right middle finger...Bronson Arroyo gave up three runs on six hits for the Reds while walking a pair and striking out three.
- CINCINNATI: 3
Aug 1 11:24 PM
- Jose Altuve grounded into a fielder's choice to second scored Humberto Quintero with none out to end the game.
Reds 3, Astros 4 Bot 10, 0 OutsAug 1 11:24 PM
- Jay Bruce grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Miguel Cairo. Brandon Phillips out at second. Joey Votto advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Yonder Alonso due up.
Reds 3, Astros 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 1 9:31 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to center scored Joey Votto. Runner on first with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 2, Astros 3 Top 3, 1 OutAug 1 8:54 PM
- Joey Votto doubled to left scored Drew Stubbs. Runner on second with one out and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 1, Astros 3 Top 3, 1 OutAug 1 8:51 PM
- Humberto Quintero doubled to center scored Jimmy Paredes. Runner on second with one out and Bud Norris due up.
Reds 0, Astros 3 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 1 8:40 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 1 8:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21