Renteria's grand slam keys Cincy's win in HoustonAug 3, 2011 - 6:44 AM
Bailey (6-5) allowed just one run on five hits over eight innings and scored a run, as the Reds pulled even in this three-game series.
"I think everybody in this room still believes we have a chance to make the playoffs," Bailey said. "That's the ultimate goal."
The ninth grand slam of Renteria's career highlighted a five-run fifth for the Reds, who are 6 1/2 games off the pace in the NL Central.
Wandy Rodriguez (7-8) lasted just five innings, allowing all five runs on four hits and three walks.
Luis Durango went 1-for-4 with an RBI for the Astros, who have dropped four of their last five.
The Reds did not place a runner in scoring position through the first four frames, but exploded in the fifth.
Chris Heisey and Ramon Hernandez began the inning with consecutive doubles to push one across. Bailey and Drew Stubbs then followed a Todd Frazier groundout with back-to-back walks to load the bases before Renteria delivered, ripping a 1-0 fastball into the stands in left.
"Renteria put a good swing on a fastball inside, that's basically what happened," Houston catcher Carlos Corporan said.
The Astros answered a half-inning later, as Jimmy Paredes led off with a walk, advanced to third on Corporan's single to center and scored on Durango's one-out base hit up the third base line.
The threat came to a screeching halt, however, when Jose Altuve grounded into a 5-4-3 double play, leaving two aboard.
Bailey kept the Astros in check through eight and handed the ball to Aroldis Chapman, who tossed a perfect ninth.
Chapman has now thrown 9 2/3 consecutive hitless innings.
Renteria extended his hit streak to six games...With a third-inning strikeout of Stubbs, Rodriguez moved into first place on the Astros' all-time strikeout list for lefties with 947...Votto has hit safely in his last 17 games at Minute Maid Park...In his last eight appearances, Chapman has allowed just one baserunner -- a walk -- and has recorded 15 strikeouts over that span.
- CINCINNATI: 5
Aug 2 10:30 PM
- Luis Durango singled to left scoring Jimmy Paredes. On the play, Carlos Corporan advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jose Altuve due up.
Reds 5, Astros 1 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 2 9:23 PM
- Edgar Renteria one-out, Grand Slam (2) to left scored Ramon Hernandez, Homer Bailey and Drew Stubbs. Joey Votto due up.
Reds 5, Astros 0 Top 5, 1 OutAug 2 9:10 PM
- Todd Frazier grounded out third to first. Runner on second with one out and Homer Bailey due up.
Reds 1, Astros 0 Top 5, 1 OutAug 2 9:01 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 8:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21