Reds ruin Millwood's return to the majors, down RockiesAug 11, 2011 - 4:16 AM
Jay Bruce and Edgar Renteria also cracked home runs and Paul Janish added a pair of hits for the Reds, who gave themselves a chance to split the series after dropping the first two games.
Mike Leake (10-7) gave up two runs on 11 hits over 7 1/3 innings while fanning five and walking one. Francisco Cordero worked a rocky ninth to earn his 21st save.
Veteran right-hander Kevin Millwood (0-1) took the loss in his first start in the majors since last September 29 as a member of the Baltimore Orioles.
After pitching in the minor leagues with the Yankees and Red Sox, Millwood was signed by Colorado before the game and went seven innings, giving up three runs on six hits while fanning six and walking one.
"He did nothing but pound the strike zone and pitch ahead," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said of his starter's effort. "It was as professional an effort as can ask a guy to give, something he's done his whole career."
Troy Tulowitzki clubbed a home run while Chris Nelson and Seth Smith added two hits apiece for the Rockies.
The Reds took the lead for good in the bottom of the sixth on a leadoff shot from Votto, his 18th home run of the year.
In the ninth, the Rockies had a chance to tie the game when pinch-hitter Eliezer Alfonzo roped a one-out double into the left field corner. Alfonzo was removed for the more fleet-footed Eric Young Jr., who swiped third base to move the tying run closer with one out.
Young broke on contact when Dexter Fowler nubbed a ball back to Cordero and was caught in a rundown for the second out. Nelson then grounded a ball to third and Fowler was tagged out by Todd Frazier to end the game.
Earlier, After the Rockies loaded the bases with one out in the fourth and failed to score, Cincinnati broke the scoreless tie the following half-inning when Renteria led off by depositing a Millwood offering into the seats in left for his fourth homer of the season. Following a Votto strikeout, Bruce launched an off-speed pitch from Millwood deep to right to give the Reds a two run lead with his 23rd homer.
"I've been seeing the ball well the last couple days," Bruce said. "You have to take what they give you, take it as it comes, focus on today and tomorrow and not worry about the past."
Colorado got a run back in the fifth. Chris Iannetta led off by crushing a Leake mistake into the right-center field gap for a double and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Millwood. Fowler then knocked in Iannetta with a single to right. Nelson slapped a single to right to give the Rockies runners on first and second with one down, but Leake got out of trouble by getting Carlos Gonzalez to ground into a 4-3 double play.
Colorado knotted the game at two in the sixth courtesy of Tulowitzki's leadoff home run, his 23rd of the season.
Prior to Wednesday's game, the Rockies made three other roster moves in addition to signing Millwood. They placed pitcher Matt Lindstrom on the 15-day disabled list, optioned infielder Ian Stewart to Triple-A Colorado Springs and called up pitcher Edgar Gonzalez from the farm club...Colorado leads the all- time series with the Reds by a 78-74 mark...Reds second baseman Brandon Philips sat out Wednesday's game after being hit in the elbow with a pitch on Tuesday...The Reds turned four inning-ending double plays.
- COLORADO: 2
Aug 10 9:48 PM
- Joey Votto lead-off Home Run (18) to left. Jay Bruce due up.
Rockies 2, Reds 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 10 8:54 PM
- Seth Smith singled to right. Runner on first with one out and Ty Wigginton due up.
Rockies 2, Reds 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 10 8:43 PM
- Chris Nelson singled to right. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 1, Reds 2 Top 5, 1 OutAug 10 8:28 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, solo Home Run (23) to right. Todd Frazier due up.
Rockies 0, Reds 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 10 8:13 PM
- Joey Votto struck out swinging. None on with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Rockies 0, Reds 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 10 8:11 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 10 7:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21