Reds hit 7 HRs in 13-1 win over PadresAug 14, 2011 - 3:05 AM
Miguel Cairo and Ryan Hanigan hit two homers apiece and drove in nine runs between them, while Joey Votto, Jay Bruce and Todd Frazier also added longballs.
Homer Bailey (7-5) earned the win after giving up one run and scattering six hits over seven innings.
"At this time of year I always feel like I have better stuff," said Bailey. "Our defense did great and the bats put up 11 runs so it made my job a lot easier."
Kyle Blanks accounted for the lone Padres run with a solo homer in the fourth.
Tim Stauffer (7-9) was pegged with the loss after giving up nine runs on seven hits -- including five home runs -- in just three innings.
The Reds jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the first. Votto belted his 19th homer of the season before Bruce walked and scored when Cairo blasted 1-1 fastball into the left field stands.
Cincinnati added another run in the second when Frazier hit a solo homer to open the frame, giving the Reds a 4-0 lead.
The Reds kept pouring it on in the third, adding five more runs to take a 9-0 lead. Votto singled and scored on Bruce's 25th homer of the season. Stubbs followed with a single and Frazier walked before Hanigan drove a 2-1 fastball over the wall in left for a three-run blast.
The Padres finally got on the board in the fourth after Blanks hit a leadoff homer to left.
But Cincinnati continued its home run assault. Bruce opened the fifth with a single before Cairo belted his second longball of the game and seventh of the season.
In the eighth, Stubbs doubled to open the frame before Hanigan hit his second homer of the night, and fifth of the season, to give the Reds their 13-1 lead.
Every run scored in the game was a result of a home run...Cairo had the first multi-homer game of his 13-year career...The Padres allowed a club record- tying seven homers for the first time since giving up seven to the Dodgers September 16, 2006.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
Aug 13 10:01 PM
- Ryan Hanigan one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (5) to left scored Drew Stubbs. Jose Arredondo due up.
Padres 1, Reds 13 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 13 9:44 PM
- Miguel Cairo none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (7) to left scored Jay Bruce. Drew Stubbs due up.
Padres 1, Reds 11 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 13 8:53 PM
- Kyle Blanks lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Orlando Hudson due up.
Padres 1, Reds 9 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 13 8:23 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, two-run Home Run (25) to right scored Joey Votto. Miguel Cairo due up.
Padres 0, Reds 6 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 13 8:09 PM
- Todd Frazier lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Ryan Hanigan due up.
Padres 0, Reds 4 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 13 7:42 PM
- Miguel Cairo two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Jay Bruce. Drew Stubbs due up.
Padres 0, Reds 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 13 7:32 PM
- Jay Bruce walked. Runner on first with two out and Miguel Cairo due up.
Padres 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 13 7:30 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 7:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22