Walker, Pirates sink RedsAug 21, 2011 - 2:50 AM
Tony Watson (1-2) entered a tie game in the top of the seventh and stranded Ramon Hernandez at second to record his first major league win.
Joel Hanrahan, who allowed three ninth-inning runs in Friday's 11-8 series-opening loss, recorded the game's final three outs to earn his 31st save of the season.
Hernandez had tied the game at 3-3 with an RBI double, but Aroldis Chapman (2-1) surrendered two runs a half-inning later to suffer the loss.
Chapman came out for the bottom of the seventh and allowed a one-out single to McCutchen before walking Ryan Ludwick. Walker then pushed home the go-ahead run with a single to right and Brandon Wood made it a 5-3 game with a double.
Jose Veras kept the Reds off the board in the eighth before Hanrahan tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to hand Cincinnati its fourth loss in six games.
Pirates starter Charlie Morton lasted six innings, allowing two runs on seven hits, while Reds starter Dontrelle Willis, who has yet to earn a win in eight starts this season, allowed three runs on eight hits over six frames.
"There's some guys that played baseball last year that don't have a job now, that had great years," said Willis. "I'm just thankful for the opportunity and everything else is icing on the cake."
Brandon Phillips began the game with a single, moved to second on a Fred Lewis groundout and scored on Joey Votto's single to right.
The Pirates tied the game in the fourth. Andrew McCutchen and Ludwick began the frame with consecutive singles to place runners at first and second. Willis retired the next two batters, but Ronny Cedeno delivered a base hit through the left side to plate McCutchen.
An inning later, the Pirates grabbed a 3-1 lead. Jose Tabata led off with a single and Garrett Jones was hit by a pitch. Ludwick followed a McCutchen strikeout with a single up the middle to score Tabata and Walker's single to left plated Jones.
The Reds responded in the top of the sixth with consecutive singles from Phillips, Lewis and Votto, the last of which made it a 3-2 game and left runners on first and second with no outs. Morton prevented further damage by inducing Jay Bruce into a double-play grounder and then knocking down Miguel Cairo's comeback liner and retiring him at first.
Chris Resop relieved Morton to begin the seventh and the Reds quickly took advantage. Drew Stubbs led off with a single and stole second. Hernandez then doubled to right to tie the game.
"It wasn't a comfortable day for him all day," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of Morton. "He was out there grinding and I just think the intensity of pitch, after pitch, after pitch, just kind of wore him down early."
Watson, who was recalled from the minors prior to the game, spelled Resop. He retired Paul Janish and Edgar Renteria to strand Hernandez.
Watson was recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis and filled the roster spot of pitcher Paul Maholm, who was placed on the 15- day disabled list Friday with a left shoulder strain...Walker has reached base safely in each of his last 14 games played against the Reds...The Pirates improved to 8-3 against the Reds this year...Willis made his 200th appearance and 197th start of his major league career.
- CINCINNATI: 3
Aug 20 7:39 PM
- Ronny Cedeno struck out looking. Runners on second and third with two outs and Michael McKenry due up.
Reds 3, Pirates 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 20 6:56 PM
- Neil Walker singled to right scoring Andrew McCutchen. On the play, Ryan Ludwick advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Brandon Wood due up.
Reds 3, Pirates 4 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 20 6:52 PM
- Ramon Hernandez doubled to right scoring Drew Stubbs. Runner on second with none out and Paul Janish due up.
Reds 3, Pirates 3 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 20 6:24 PM
- Joey Votto singled to right scoring Brandon Phillips. On the play, Fred Lewis advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 2, Pirates 3 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 20 6:02 PM
- Neil Walker singled to left scoring Garrett Jones. On the play, Ryan Ludwick advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brandon Wood due up.
Reds 1, Pirates 3 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 20 5:51 PM
- Ryan Ludwick singled to center scoring Jose Tabata. On the play, Garrett Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Neil Walker due up.
Reds 1, Pirates 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 20 5:48 PM
- Ronny Cedeno singled to left scoring Andrew McCutchen. On the play, Ryan Ludwick advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs as Cedeno advanced on the throw to home and Michael McKenry due up.
Reds 1, Pirates 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 20 5:27 PM
- Joey Votto singled to right scoring Brandon Phillips. Runner on first with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 20 4:16 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 4:11 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21