Giambi, Rockies take down RedsSep 11, 2011 - 1:33 AM
Jordan Pacheco hit a solo shot and also knocked in three runs for the Rockies, who won for just the fourth time in 11 games.
Dexter Fowler added a two-run blast and Troy Tulowitzki posted two RBI and scored twice to ensure that Alex White (2-1) earned the win despite allowing eight hits and seven runs -- six earned -- over five innings.
Chris Heisey recorded three hits and went deep twice, while Joey Votto, Jay Bruce and Juan Francisco also homered for the Reds, who have lost eight of their past 12 games.
Matt Maloney (0-2) was charged in the loss for one earned run on three hits in two relief frames. Starter Bronson Arroyo recorded only three outs, giving up seven hits and six runs total.
"[Arroyo] was leaving the ball up, and that doesn't favor well in this ballpark," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
Colorado picked up four insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth to turn a one-run lead into a five-run bulge. With the bases loaded and one out, Aroldis Chapman's wild pitch plated Eric Young. Tulowitzki then walked to re- load the sacks, and Giambi also drew a base on balls to force in another run.
After a Seth Smith pop put, Pacheco brought in two with a single to make it 12-7 for the home team before a Chris Iannetta pop out ended the rally.
Rafael Betancourt put an end to the madness with a scoreless ninth.
Votto's RBI single in the first put the Reds on top, but the Rockies countered with four in the home half on Mark Ellis' solo homer, a Tulowitzki RBI single and a two-run blast from Giambi.
It was 6-1 for Colorado in the second as White doubled and Fowler unloaded a two-run homer to right, chasing Arroyo from the mound.
In the third, Heisey hit a one-out solo homer. Bruce walked two batters later and Francisco cut the Reds deficit to 6-4 on a two-run blast to right.
With runners on the corners in the fourth, Tulowitzki's sacrifice fly pushed across Colorado's seventh run, but Cincinnati countered in the fifth to tie the game on three consecutive homers by Heisey, Votto and Bruce.
Pacheco continued the longball onslaught with his first career homer to put the Rockies up 8-7 in the home fifth.
"It was nice to be able to contribute today," said the rookie.
Colorado has won 11 of its last 12 home games over Cincinnati...White has served up 12 home runs in 37 innings over four starts, and became the first pitcher to allow that many in one outing since the humidor was installed at Coors in 2002...This was Arroyo's shortest start since a 15-3 loss against Milwaukee on May 6, 2009. He has now allowed 40 homers this season, tying him with Eric Milton (2005) for most by a starter in one year in franchise history...This was Heisey's third two-homer game of 2011...Cincinnati last hit back-to-back-to-back homers on August 13, 2006 at Philadelphia...Ellis left the game in the sixth after being hit in the head by a Carlos Fisher pitch.
- CINCINNATI: 7
Sep 10 7:36 PM
- Jordan Pacheco single to left scored Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki with two out. On the play, Jason Giambi advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Iannetta due up.
Reds 7, Rockies 12 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 10 7:28 PM
- Jason Giambi bases loaded walk scored Chris Nelson with one out. Bases loaded and Seth Smith due up.
Reds 7, Rockies 10 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 10 7:25 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki walked. Bases loaded with one out and Jason Giambi due up.
Reds 7, Rockies 9 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 10 7:20 PM
- Jordan Pacheco one-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Chris Iannetta due up.
Reds 7, Rockies 8 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 10 6:03 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, solo Home Run (30) to right center. Juan Francisco due up.
Reds 7, Rockies 7 Top 5, 1 OutSep 10 5:54 PM
- Joey Votto one-out, solo Home Run (27) to left. Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 6, Rockies 7 Top 5, 1 OutSep 10 5:52 PM
- Chris Heisey one-out, solo Home Run 2 (15) to left. Joey Votto due up.
Reds 5, Rockies 7 Top 5, 1 OutSep 10 5:51 PM
- Jason Giambi flied out to left to end the inning.
Reds 4, Rockies 7 End 4Sep 10 5:45 PM
- Juan Francisco two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Jay Bruce. Drew Stubbs due up.
Reds 4, Rockies 6 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 10 5:12 PM
- Chris Heisey one-out, solo Home Run (14) to left. Joey Votto due up.
Reds 2, Rockies 6 Top 3, 1 OutSep 10 5:08 PM
- Dexter Fowler none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Alex White. Mark Ellis due up.
Reds 1, Rockies 6 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 10 4:56 PM
- Jason Giambi one-out, two-run Home Run (13) to center scored Troy Tulowitzki. Seth Smith due up.
Reds 1, Rockies 4 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 10 4:34 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to left scored Carlos Gonzalez with one out. Runner on first and Jason Giambi due up.
Reds 1, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 10 4:30 PM
- Mark Ellis one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Reds 1, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 10 4:26 PM
- Joey Votto single to center scored Chris Heisey with one out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second on Dexter Fowler's fielding error. Runner on second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 10 4:17 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 10 4:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21