Pirates clip Reds on Ludwick hit in ninthSep 24, 2011 - 5:30 AM
Pinch-hitter Jason Jaramillo ripped a double to left with one out off Reds reliever Bill Bray (5-3) before Ludwick came through with the walkoff single to center against Nick Masset, allowing pinch-runner Chase d'Arnaud to easily score from second.
Garrett Jones hit a two-run homer and Andrew McCutchen finished with two hits and a run scored for the Pirates, who bounced back after going 2-5 in Los Angeles and Phoenix.
Joel Hanrahan (1-4) earned the win despite plunking Todd Frazier to force in the tying run in the top half of the frame.
Joey Votto picked up an RBI double, while Frazier and Paul Janish had two hits apiece for the Reds, who had their two-game winning streak snapped.
Trailing 3-2, the Reds rallied to tie the game in the top of the ninth. They loaded the bases with two outs. Hanrahan then went to 3-2 on Frazier before hitting him in the hand.
"I didn't have all my good stuff, but I tried to find a way to make it work," Hanrahan said. "I think I hit my first guy of the year. This game's funny."
The Pirates opened the scoring in the second inning when Ryan Doumit beat out an infield single to begin the frame and Jones homered to dead center field.
McCutchen smoked a two-out double in the third and scored on a base hit to right by Doumit.
The Reds put runners on second and third with two outs in the fourth, but were unable to score, as Ramon Hernandez grounded out to shortstop to end the inning.
Reds starter Edinson Volquez drew a one-out walk and Brandon Phillips followed with a single to put two men on again in the fifth and this time, the Reds got on the board courtesy of a double down the left field line by Votto.
"We didn't execute the fundamental things," Phillips said.
Janish singled in Frazier in the sixth.
In 20 games during September, Doumit is hitting .410...Pirates second baseman Neil Walker is in the midst of a career-best 51-game errorless streak...Reds outfielder Jay Bruce, who went 0-for-4, is one home run shy of 100 for his career...Prior to Friday's game, Cincinnati signed general manager Walt Jocketty to a three-year contract extension...McCutchen's triple in the fifth inning was his fifth of the season...Volquez gave up three runs on six hits over five innings...Pirates starter Jeff Locke gave up one run on six hits in 4 2/3 innings.
- CINCINNATI: 3
Sep 23 10:31 PM
- Dave Sappelt flied out to center to end the inning.
Reds 3, Pirates 3 Mid 9Sep 23 10:16 PM
- Paul Janish single to right scored Todd Frazier with two out. Runner on first and Edinson Volquez due up.
Reds 2, Pirates 3 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 23 9:05 PM
- Joey Votto double to left scored Edinson Volquez with two out. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 1, Pirates 3 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 23 8:38 PM
- Ryan Doumit single to right scored Andrew McCutchen with two out. On the play, Derrek Lee advances to second. Runners on first and second and Garrett Jones due up.
Reds 0, Pirates 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 23 8:05 PM
- Garrett Jones none-out, two-run Home Run (16) to center scored Ryan Doumit. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Reds 0, Pirates 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 23 7:34 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 23 7:07 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21