Stubbs, Reds squeeze win over Mets in 13Sep 28, 2011 - 5:58 AM
Juan Francisco slapped a one-out triple in the right-center field gap off of Dale Thayer (0-3) to set-up Stubbs for the squeeze that went toward third base.
"You do anything you can just to get the bunt down and fair," Stubbs said. "As soon as he went to separate his hands to throw I squared around and just kind of stuck my nose in there to make sure I got it down."
Francisco Cordero earned his 37th save although he walked four in the 13th. Justin Turner hit into a game-ending unassisted double play when he lined out to Todd Frazier at second.
Jay Bruce had three hits, including a two-run homer for the Reds, who have won three straight.
Sam LeCure (2-1) picked up the win with a 1-2-3 12th.
Jose Reyes (.336) continued his pursuit of the first NL batting title in Mets history by going 3-for-6 with a pair of solo home runs. He leads the Brewers' Ryan Braun (.335) ,who went 1-for-2 in Tuesday's game against the Pirates.
"Every time I come up to the plate they make a lot of noise," Reyes said about the support he has been getting from the fans. "They know what's going on and that's good to see. I appreciate that and I just try and do my best."
Bruce gave the Reds a quick 2-0 lead in the first inning with a line-drive home run down the right-field line. The Mets gave Cincinnati another opportunity when they were unable to turn a double play when Joey Votto grounded to second, as Reyes bounced his throw to first.
The Mets cut Cincinnati's advantage in its half in the home first with an RBI single by David Wright.
Reyes tied the game in the third with a solo shot to right-center field, and then gave the Mets a 3-2 lead in the fifth when he circled the bases a second time in as many at-bats.
Votto belted an opposite field home run to left-center field to even the score again in the sixth.
Nick Evans laced a one-out double in the home sixth, and Josh Thole brought him home with a single up the middle to make it a 4-3 game.
Francisco tied it up in the ninth with a two-out double, which plated Dave Sappelt who came on to pinch run for Devin Mesoraco. Mesoraco slapped a single to left, and reached second when Edgar Renteria singled.
The New York Mets announced on Tuesday that they have exercised the contract option for manager Terry Collins for the 2013 season...Bruce's home run in the first was the 100th of his career...Mets starter Chris Capuano has struck out 45 batters in his past 40 2/3 innings of work...Reds starter Bronson Arroyo's six straight seasons of 200-plus innings was snapped, as he threw 199 innings this season...The Mets fell to 21-28 in one-run games this year.
- CINCINNATI: 5
NEW YORK: 4
Sep 27 11:33 PM
- Drew Stubbs sacrifice bunt to third scored Juan Francisco with two outs. None on and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 5, Mets 4 Top 13, 2 OutsSep 27 11:17 PM
- Juan Francisco double to left scored Dave Sappelt with two outs. On the play, Edgar Renteria advances to third. Runners on second and third and Drew Stubbs due up.
Reds 4, Mets 4 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 27 9:53 PM
- Josh Thole single to center scored Nick Evans with one out. Runner on first and Mike Baxter due up.
Reds 3, Mets 4 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 27 8:53 PM
- Joey Votto lead-off Home Run (29) to left center. Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 3, Mets 3 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 27 8:43 PM
- Jose Reyes one-out, solo Home Run 2 (7) to right. Ruben Tejada due up.
Reds 2, Mets 3 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 27 8:35 PM
- Jose Reyes one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Ruben Tejada due up.
Reds 2, Mets 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 27 7:59 PM
- David Wright single to left scored Ruben Tejada with two outs. On the play, David Wright advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Nick Evans due up.
Reds 2, Mets 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 27 7:28 PM
- Jay Bruce two-out, two-run Home Run (32) to right scored Joey Votto. Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 2, Mets 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 27 7:18 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 27 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21