Kouzmanoff, A's thump MarinersApr 24, 2011 - 6:00 AM
Cliff Pennington hit a two-run homer and Coco Crisp knocked in a pair of runs for the Athletics, who snapped a three-game losing streak and ended a 20-inning scoreless streak.
Oakland's Trevor Cahill (3-0) was solid in a six-inning start, giving up just one run on seven hits.
"I didn't feel that great out there," said Cahill. "For them to take some pressure off, score that many runs, definitely helped out a lot. Hopefully, we can get into a groove and score a lot more tomorrow and keep it going."
Jack Wilson drove in the lone run for the Mariners, who had shut out the A's in the first two games of the series.
Jason Vargas (0-2) was touched for six runs on six hits in five innings.
"We made some mistakes in every area of the game today," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge. "Against a guy like Cahill, much less anybody at this level, you just can't do that. We got to do a better job of controlling damage."
A three-run fourth inning put the A's ahead for good.
Kurt Suzuki had a one-out walk and stole second after Mark Ellis popped out for the second out in the decisive inning. Kouzmanoff brought Suzuki home just before Pennington blasted a two-run homer over the left field fence to go up 4-1.
The A's put up a five-run sixth to really take command of the game. Kouzmanoff belted a a three-run homer with one out while Crisp notched an RBI double later in the inning to go up 8-1. Crisp then crossed home on a Conor Jackson single to cap off the rally.
Seattle got on board first when Wilson singled in Chris Gimenez in the bottom of the second. But Oakland tied it up in the third with Crisp's RBI double.
Oakland was 6-for-11 with runners in scoring position while Seattle went 1- for-7...Crisp finished 3-for-5...Ichiro Suzuki went 3-for-4 in the loss.
- OAKLAND: 9
Apr 24 12:19 AM
- Conor Jackson singled to left scored Coco Crisp with one out. Runners on first and second with Josh Willingham due up.
Athletics 9, Mariners 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 23 11:12 PM
- Daric Barton walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Conor Jackson due up.
Athletics 8, Mariners 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 23 11:09 PM
- Kevin Kouzmanoff one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Hideki Matsui and Kurt Suzuki. Cliff Pennington due up.
Athletics 7, Mariners 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 23 11:04 PM
- Cliff Pennington two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Kevin Kouzmanoff. Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 4, Mariners 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 23 10:25 PM
- Kevin Kouzmanoff singled to center scored Kurt Suzuki with two out. Runner on first and Cliff Pennington due up.
Athletics 2, Mariners 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 23 10:25 PM
- Coco Crisp doubled to center scored Mark Ellis with two out. Runner on second and Daric Barton due up.
Athletics 1, Mariners 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 23 9:58 PM
- Jack Wilson singled to center scored Chris Gimenez with two out. Runner on first and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 23 9:41 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 23 9:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21