Wilson goes the distance, Texas downs SeattleMay 5, 2011 - 5:43 AM
Wilson (4-1) gave up two runs -- one earned -- on six hits with a career-high 12 strikeouts and retired the final 14 batters he faced to pick up the fourth complete game of his career.
"For me, it's more surgical, that's the way I try to pitch," said Wilson. "My changeup, the first four innings tonight, was barely missing, but it was missing. Once I started to throw it for strikes then I felt like they had no chance."
Mitch Moreland and Chris Davis hit solo home runs for the Rangers, who snapped a three-game losing streak.
Michael Pineda (4-2) was saddled with the loss as he gave up four runs on seven hits with nine strikeouts over seven innings pitched for the Mariners, who came into the game having won six of seven.
"Michael threw the ball well again today, a couple fastballs that they got to and turned around, but he still pitched well, gave us a chance to win the ballgame," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge. "Their guy was real good and he took it the whole way, made pitches, kept the ball down all day. But, every time Michael goes out there he's going to get a little bit better, he's going to be a little bit wiser, a little bit more experienced."
Chone Figgins went 2-for-4 with two runs scored while Miguel Olivo drove in both runs in the loss for Seattle.
Texas jumped out on top in the first on an Adrian Beltre RBI double and a single that scored Beltre from David Murphy for a 2-0 lead.
Seattle got one back in the bottom of the inning as Figgins hit a one-out single, moved to third on a Milton Bradley single and crossed the plate thanks to Olivo's sacrifice fly.
The third inning saw Seattle tie the game on another sacrifice fly from Olivo that plated Figgins.
However, Texas went in front for good in the fifth when Moreland led off the frame with a shot over the wall in right-center and made it a 4-2 game in the seventh on Davis' solo shot.
Ian Kinsler led off the eighth with a walk, stole second and moved to third on a sac bunt from Elvis Andrus before a Chris Ray wild pitch allowed him to score for a 5-2 score.
After Figgins singled with one out in the fifth, Wilson didn't let another batter reach base and completed the game on a groundout from Jack Wilson.
Wilson threw 125 pitches, 81 for strikes...Beltre has 25 RBI on the season...Texas has taken four of five from Seattle this season after taking 12 of 19 last season...Jason Vargas takes the mound for Seattle in the rubber match on Thursday and will be opposed by Colby Lewis for Texas.
- TEXAS: 5
May 5 12:43 AM
- Chris Ray wild pitch scored Ian Kinsler. None on with two outs and Adrian Beltre at the plate.
Rangers 5, Mariners 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 5 12:21 AM
- Chris Davis two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right center. Julio Borbon due up.
Rangers 4, Mariners 2 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 5 12:01 AM
- Chris Davis struck out swinging. None on with one out and Julio Borbon due up.
Rangers 3, Mariners 2 Top 5, 1 OutMay 4 11:25 PM
- Miguel Olivo sacrifice fly to right scored Chone Figgins. On the play, Milton Bradley advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Justin Smoak due up.
Rangers 2, Mariners 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 4 11:01 PM
- Miguel Olivo sacrifice fly to center scored Chone Figgins. Runner on first with two outs and Justin Smoak due up.
Rangers 2, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 4 10:30 PM
- David Murphy singled to right scored Adrian Beltre.. Runner on first with two outs and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Rangers 2, Mariners 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 4 10:17 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 4 10:13 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21