Mariners start homestand with win over YankeesMay 28, 2011 - 6:59 AM
The Mariners began a 10-game homestand with their ninth win in 11 games to pull within .500 (25-25) for the first time since they were 2-2.
David Pauley (3-0) threw two scoreless innings to pick up the win, while the loss was credited to Luis Ayala (1-1).
Both starters lasted five innings and did not factor in the decision. Seattle rookie Michael Pineda gave up three runs on three hits and five walks, and New York's A.J. Burnett was charged with two runs on four hits and five walks.
"[Pineda] didn't have the command we've seen him have, but those are the days you've gotta dig deep and find a way to keep the team in the ballgame, and that's what he did," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said.
Mark Teixeira staked the Yankees to an early lead with a solo homer in the first inning, and New York scored two more in the fifth -- one on a wild pitch and another on Alex Rodriguez's RBI base hit to center.
But the Mariners began chipping away in the home fifth. Ryan started the inning with a single, Suzuki followed with a double and both runners scored on run-scoring groundouts from Luis Rodriguez and Justin Smoak, respectively.
Seattle went in front after it loaded the bases against Boone Logan and Ayala in the sixth. Ryan hit into a fielder's choice to tie the game, and Suzuki plated Miguel Olivo with the go-ahead run on a bouncer to short.
Jamey Wright relieved Pauley in the eighth and ended the inning by picking off pinch-runner Eduardo Nunez at second.
"I think every player knows you can't get picked off in that situation. Maybe it was inexperience, maybe it was being a little too aggressive," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
Brandon League worked a 1-2-3 ninth to pick up his 13th save of the season.
Mariners center fielder Franklin Gutierrez went 0-for-4 at the plate but stole a potential solo home run away from Nick Swisher to end the fourth...Pineda had lasted at least six innings in each of his previous nine starts...This was the first of nine straight road games for the Yankees, who had won seven of nine coming in...On Saturday, the Mariners will throw ace Felix Hernandez against the Yankees' Ivan Nova.
- NEW YORK: 3
May 28 1:15 AM
- Ichiro Suzuki ground out short to first scored Miguel Olivo with two outs. On the play, Brendan Ryan advances to second. Runner on second and Luis Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 3, Mariners 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 28 12:29 AM
- Brendan Ryan's fielder's choice, short to second scored Adam Kennedy with one out. Carlos Peguero out at second. Miguel Olivo advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 3, Mariners 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 28 12:27 AM
- Justin Smoak ground out second to first scored Ichiro Suzuki with two outs. None on and Jack Cust due up.
Yankees 3, Mariners 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 28 12:00 AM
- Luis Rodriguez ground out pitcher to second to first scored Brendan Ryan with one out. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to third. Runner on third and Justin Smoak due up.
Yankees 3, Mariners 1 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 27 11:59 PM
- Alex Rodriguez single to center scored Mark Teixeira with two outs. Runner on first and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 3, Mariners 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 27 11:48 PM
- Curtis Granderson scored on a wild pitch with two outs.Mark Teixeira advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second and Alex Rodriguez at the plate.
Yankees 2, Mariners 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 27 11:46 PM
- Mark Teixeira two-out, solo Home Run (14) to right. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 27 10:15 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 10:10 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21