Fister helps Mariners down OriolesMay 31, 2011 - 12:03 AM
Fister (3-5) allowed three runs on seven hits and a walk in the Mariners' 11th win in their last 14 games.
Jake Arrieta (6-3) had the shortest outing of his career when he allowed four runs on four hits and four walks in just 2 1/3 innings as Baltimore lost its fourth straight game.
"I'm pretty upset about this one. I just couldn't give the team what I needed to give them," said Arrieta. "It's just real frustrating to go out there, especially after a sweep, I knew what I wanted to do today and to only get seven outs is pretty frustrating."
Ichiro Suzuki led off the home first with a single, stole second and advanced to third on Matt Wieters' throwing error before scoring on a Brendan Ryan groundout. Justin Smoak then worked a walk and came around to score on a triple by Jack Cust to give Seattle an early two-run advantage.
The Orioles got a run back in the third on a solo home run by Mark Reynolds.
But the Mariners added to their lead in the bottom half of the inning after loading the bases with no outs. Suzuki and Ryan hit back-to-back singles and Smoak walked to fill up the bags. After a Cust fly out, Adam Kennedy walked to bring in Suzuki and Miguel Olivo followed with a walk of his own to score Ryan, which knocked Arrieta out of the game.
Alfredo Simon then took the mound and struck out Carlos Peguero and Chone Figgins to end the inning and keep the score 4-1.
Robert Andino and Felix Pie started the eighth inning with consecutive singles to put runners on the corners with no outs for Baltimore. After a J.J. Hardy strikeout, Nick Markakis singled past a diving Kennedy to plate Andino and Fister was taken out of the game.
"He was really good. He really gets into it when it gets a little bit thick out there. He was really efficient early on, really efficient throughout. He had some difficulty late, but didn't give into it," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said about Fister.
Jamey Wright entered next and Vladimir Guerrero greeted him with a grounder to third that was misplayed by Figgins. Pie took home on the error and made it a 4-3 game. Groundouts by Wieters and Luke Scott ended the inning and kept it a one-run game.
Brandon League worked around a lead-off single by Nolan Reimold to earn his 14th save of the year.
Baltimore recalled pitcher Chris Jakubauskas from Norfolk and also optioned pitcher Chris Tillman to Norfolk on Monday...Ryan extended his hit streak to a career-high 10 games...Baltimore hit 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base.
- BALTIMORE: 3
May 30 6:58 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero reached first on Chone Figgins's fielding error which scored Felix Pie. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Matt Wieters due up. NOTE: Guerrerro is credited with an RBI.
Orioles 3, Mariners 4 Top 8, 1 OutMay 30 6:34 PM
- Nick Markakis singled off second to right scored Robert Andino. On the play, Felix Pie advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 2, Mariners 4 Top 8, 1 OutMay 30 6:29 PM
- Miguel Olivo's walk scored Brendan Ryan. Bases loaded with one out and Carlos Peguero due up.
Orioles 1, Mariners 4 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 30 5:06 PM
- Adam Kennedy's walk scored Ichiro Suzuki. Bases loaded with one out and Miguel Olivo due up.
Orioles 1, Mariners 3 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 30 5:04 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Robert Andino is due up.
Orioles 1, Mariners 2 Top 3, 1 OutMay 30 4:44 PM
- Jack Cust tripled to center scoring Justin Smoak. Runner on third with one out and Adam Kennedy due up.
Orioles 0, Mariners 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 30 4:26 PM
- Brendan Ryan's groundout from second to first scored Ichiro Suzuki. None on with one out and Justin Smoak due up.
Orioles 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 30 4:24 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 30 4:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21