Angels beat Mariners behind Weaver's CGJul 8, 2011 - 6:06 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jered Weaver threw his eighth career complete game, and fourth of the season, striking out six Thursday night to lead the Angels over the Mariners, 5-1, in the opener of a four-game series.
Weaver (11-4) has won five straight decisions and moved to 12-4 against Seattle. He gave up just six hits and a walk.
"It's a good way to finish the first half," said Weaver. "The guys played great defensively behind me. I had to work my way out of a couple of jams and keep runs off the board."
Weaver responded to questions about potentially starting the All-Star Game next week.
"It would be very cool to start, but there's a lot of guys deserving," he said. "It would be very gratifying, that's for sure. But just a chance to throw in it would be very exciting."
Peter Bourjos had three hits, but left the game after straining his right hamstring on an RBI double in the eighth, and Howie Kendrick hit an RBI double to push his hitting streak to 16 games for the Angels, who are 11-3 in their last 14 games.
Brendan Ryan hit an RBI double for the Mariners, who have lost two straight.
Doug Fister (3-10) took the loss, his fifth in a row, after allowing three runs on seven hits and a walk in six innings.
"Doug pitched a good game and Weaver was good again," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge. "We had our opportunities. We had a chance early. We have to take advantage of those opportunities."
Franklin Gutierrez hit a leadoff single in the third, stole second base, went to third on a wild pitch and scored on Ryan's double to give Seattle a 1-0 lead.
But Weaver settled in after that.
He retired 11 straight batters -- only one with a strikeout -- before Dustin Ackley hit a leadoff single in the seventh inning. Gutierrez also had a base hit in the inning, but Weaver only allowed one more baserunner the rest of the way.
The Angels improved to 6-3 in Weaver's last nine starts. The 28-year-old right-hander lowered his earned run average from 1.92 to 1.86 in the game. He threw 76 of his 116 pitches for strikes.
While Weaver was twirling his gem, the offense got him some runs.
The Angels went ahead 3-1 in the bottom of the third on Bobby Abreu's RBI single through the right side, Vernon Wells' sacrifice fly and Kendrick's opposite-field double to right-center.
They tacked on two runs in the eighth on a Bourjos double and Jeff Mathis single.
The Angels improved to 8-2 on their 13-game homestand...The Mariners had started a seven-game road trip before the All-Star break by winning two of three games in Oakland.
- SEATTLE: 1
LOS ANGELES: 5
Jul 8 12:44 AM
- Jeff Mathis singled to center scored Alberto Callaspo with two out. Runner on first and Maicer Izturis due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 8 12:44 AM
- Peter Bourjos doubled to left scored Erick Aybar with two out. Runner on second and Jeff Mathis due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 8 12:44 AM
- Howie Kendrick doubled to center scored Bobby Abreu with two out. Runner on second and Erick Aybar due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 7 11:04 PM
- Vernon Wells sacrifice fly out to center scored Torii Hunter with one out. Runner on first and Howie Kendrick due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 7 11:03 PM
- Bobby Abreu singled to right scored Maicer Izturis with one out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to third. Runners on first and third with Vernon Wells due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 7 11:01 PM
- Brendan Ryan doubled to left scored Franklin Gutierrez with one out. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to third. Runners on second and third with Adam Kennedy due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 7 10:48 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jul 7 10:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21