Rangers win 10th straight, shut down M's againJul 17, 2011 - 5:53 AM
Ichiro Suzuki's RBI single in the fifth may have halted Seattle's scoreless innings streak at a franchise-record 30, but it barely got in the way of the Texas Rangers' 10th straight win.
Ian Kinsler hit two solo homers, C.J. Wilson threw seven strong innings and the Rangers rolled to a 5-1 victory over Seattle on Saturday night to remain unbeaten since the Fourth of July.
The Mariners saw their losing streak pushed to eight games on the same night they honored the 2001 team that tied an MLB record by winning 116.
Suzuki's base hit in the fifth also halted Texas' shutout streak at 33 innings. The Rangers had won the first two games of this four-game series by a combined score of 9-0.
Kinsler homered on the third pitch of the game and added a blast during a three-run eighth inning that gave the Rangers their 5-1 lead.
"They had fun out there tonight and they should be excited about the way they played," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "We faced another good pitcher and we did what we had to do, and they should be proud of it. We played good baseball tonight. When you do things good on the baseball field you should show that emotion and that's what they're doing."
Wilson (10-3) remained unbeaten since May 20, allowing just five hits and three walks while striking out seven. Mark Lowe and Neftali Feliz finished the game with one scoreless inning apiece.
At the other end of the spectrum, Felix Hernandez (8-8) stayed winless in his last four starts after giving up four runs on nine hits in 7 2/3 innings. He struck out six and walked one.
The Mariners have scored just 10 runs during their losing streak.
"There's a lot to be said for what's not happening," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge, who was ejected from the game. "We're fighting a lot behind the scenes to get these guys going in the right direction. ... I keep saying it: We're going to come out of it. We're in a tough stretch right now."
Franklin Gutierrez singled leading off the fifth and scored on Suzuki's single to left-center, tying the game at 1-1.
Elvis Andrus delivered the go-ahead RBI for Texas in the sixth with a single to center, scoring Endy Chavez after he led off with a single to make it 2-1.
The Rangers knocked Hernandez out with their three-run eighth. After Kinsler's 15th homer of the season, Andrus singled and went to second on a balk that got Wedge ejected from arguing.
Andrus scored on Josh Hamilton's groundout -- Hernandez was pulled for Jamey Wright afterward -- and Michael Young added an RBI double.
Wilson is 6-0 in his last 10 starts and the Rangers are 7-3. His only loss during that span was in Tuesday's All-Star Game...Hernandez is 0-2 in his last four starts. The reigning AL Cy Young Award winner is 10-14 in 30 career starts against Texas...Kinsler extended his hitting streak to 12 games.
- TEXAS: 5
Jul 17 1:11 AM
- Michael Young doubled to right scored Adrian Beltre. Runner on second with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 5, Mariners 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 17 12:45 AM
- Josh Hamilton grounded out pitcher to first scored Elvis Andrus. None on with two outs and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 4, Mariners 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 17 12:45 AM
- Ian Kinsler one-out, solo Home Run 2 (15) to left. Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 3, Mariners 1 Top 8, 1 OutJul 17 12:45 AM
- Elvis Andrus singled to center scored Endy Chavez. Runner on first with one out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 2, Mariners 1 Top 6, 1 OutJul 16 11:40 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki singled to center scored Franklin Gutierrez. Runner on first with two outs and Brendan Ryan due up.
Rangers 1, Mariners 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 16 11:33 PM
- Ian Kinsler lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 16 10:16 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 16 10:15 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21