Yankees send Mariners to 16th straight lossJul 26, 2011 - 7:42 AM
Teixeira smacked a two-run homer off Jason Vargas in the first inning and Derek Jeter added a solo shot in the third off the Mariners starter on the way to a 10-3 victory, extending Seattle's franchise-worst losing streak to 16 games.
The skid for the Mariners is the longest in the majors since Kansas City dropped 19 in a row during the 2005 season. The American League record is 21, set by Baltimore at the start of the 1988 season.
Teixeira and Jeter knocked in three runs, as the Yankees won for the seventh time in 10 contests. Curtis Granderson also drove in two runs and New York didn't miss a beat after the start of the game was delayed nearly two hours by rain.
Freddy Garcia (9-7) yielded eight hits and fanned five over 7 2/3 innings to win his second straight start.
Vargas (6-9) was charged with seven hits and eight runs -- four earned -- over four innings to drop his fourth consecutive start. He fell to 0-3 with an 8.14 ERA lifetime against the Yankees.
Granderson walked ahead of Teixeira's homer to the second deck in left field with one out in the opening inning.
Ichiro Suzuki lifted a sacrifice fly in the third inning, but Jeter went deep to right field in the bottom half. It was his first homer since his 3,000th career hit on July 9.
Trouble continued for the Mariners in the fourth. Russell Martin was safe at first on a fielding error by third baseman Adam Kennedy. The Yankees then got a break when Andrew Jones was called safe on an infield hit despite replays showing Vargas got to the base in time to receive a flip.
Eduardo Nunez and Brett Gardner followed with RBI singles, and Jeter reached first base on a fielder's choice with Nunez scoring on a throwing error from second baseman Dustin Ackley when the ball hit the bat left near home plate.
Granderson then lifted a sacrifice fly and Teixeira singled in Jeter to cap the five-run outburst.
Granderson added a sac fly in the sixth before Justin Smoak singled in a run in the seventh and Brendan Ryan doubled in Suzuki in the eighth.
Jeter tacked on an RBI triple in the bottom of the eighth.
"We're trying to keep our spirits up," Kennedy said. "You just talk about your schedule tomorrow. We're all fighting through this together."
The last time the Yankees lost to a team that was on a current losing streak of 15-or-more games was when they were defeated, 5-2, by the Boston Red Sox on September 8, 1926 at the original Yankee Stadium, snapping the Red Sox's 17- game losing skid...Teixeira's homer was his 27th of the year...Yankees lefty Steve Garrison made his Major League debut, retiring both of his batters faced in the ninth...The Mariners have lost their last 12 contests on the road.
- SEATTLE: 3
NEW YORK: 10
Jul 25 11:39 PM
- Curtis Granderson flied out to right to end the inning.
Mariners 3, Yankees 10 End 8Jul 25 11:29 PM
- Brendan Ryan double to left scored Ichiro Suzuki with one out. Runner on second with one out and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 3, Yankees 9 Top 8, 1 OutJul 25 11:11 PM
- Franklin Gutierrez flied out to center to end the inning.
Mariners 2, Yankees 9 Mid 7Jul 25 10:57 PM
- Mark Teixeira flied out to left to end the inning.
Mariners 1, Yankees 9 End 6Jul 25 10:47 PM
- Mark Teixeira single to left scored Derek Jeter with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Mariners 1, Yankees 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 25 10:18 PM
- Curtis Granderson sacrifice fly to center scored Brett Gardner with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Mark Teixeira due up.
Mariners 1, Yankees 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 25 10:18 PM
- Derek Jeter fielder's choice to second scored Eduardo Nunez with one out, Derek Jeter advances to second on Dustin Ackley throwing error. On the play, Brett Gardner advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Curtis Granderson due up.
Mariners 1, Yankees 6 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 25 10:16 PM
- Brett Gardner single to right scored Andruw Jones with one out. On the play, Eduardo Nunez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Mariners 1, Yankees 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 25 10:10 PM
- Eduardo Nunez single to center scored Russell Martin with one out. On the play, Andruw Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Brett Gardner due up.
Mariners 1, Yankees 4 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 25 10:08 PM
- Curtis Granderson doubled to right. Runner on second with one out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Mariners 1, Yankees 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 25 9:49 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki sacrifice fly to center scored Justin Smoak with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 1, Yankees 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 25 9:42 PM
- Mark Teixeira one-out, two-run Home Run (27) to left scored Curtis Granderson. Robinson Cano due up.
Mariners 0, Yankees 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 25 9:15 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 9:02 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21