Reddick powers Red Sox past MarinersAug 13, 2011 - 7:17 AM
David Ortiz went 2-for-5 with a home run and two RBI, and Jed Lowrie also went deep for Boston, which has won five of six overall.
John Lackey (11-8) won his sixth straight decision after giving up four runs on 10 hits in six-plus frames.
"I didn't really ever get into a rhythm, it was kind of a grind," Lackey said. "I was able to make enough pitches to get out of those first couple jams and the boys came through with some runs."
Blake Beavan (3-3) was touched for six runs on 11 hits in 6 1/3 innings in defeat, the Mariners' fourth in five games.
"Tonight, (I was) just missing with my location," Beavan said.
Mike Carp had three hits and as many RBI for Seattle, two coming on a bases- loaded single in the first inning.
Boston answered in the second with Ortiz's leadoff blast and Mike Aviles' sacrifice fly that scored Carl Crawford.
Seattle again filled the bags in its next turn at the plate, and Dustin Ackley slapped a base hit to left to bring in Luis Rodriguez.
Carp doubled in another run in the fourth, though Lowrie, batting left-handed, sent a Beavan offering deep into the right-field seats leading off the next half-inning.
Boston took the lead for good in the sixth when Reddick turned on an inside pitch and hammered it off the facade in right field for his sixth round- tripper of the year. Jarrod Saltalamacchia singled ahead of the blast.
"(It was) just a 1-2 fastball that got a little too much of the plate," Reddick said. "(I was) just looking away, but fortunately for me, he made a mistake, and I didn't miss it."
In the seventh, Ortiz followed Adrian Gonzalez's leadoff double with a one- out, RBI single to left.
Boston reliever Daniel Bard stranded two in scoring position in the seventh, and Jonathan Papelbon worked around a two-out hit in the ninth to record his 27th save.
Boston has won five straight in the series...Carp extended his hitting streak to 12 games...Ortiz is one home run shy of recording his eighth 25-homer season...Beavan tossed a quality start in each of his six previous big-league outings...A pitcher's duel is on tap for Saturday as AL Cy Young candidate Josh Beckett is set to go up against Seattle's Felix Hernandez, last year's winner of the award...Seattle's Justin Smoak broke his nose. He was undergoing a CT scan for further testing Friday night.
- BOSTON: 6
Aug 13 1:19 AM
- David Ortiz single to left scored Adrian Gonzalez with one out. Runner on first and Carl Crawford due up.
Red Sox 6, Mariners 4 Top 7, 1 OutAug 13 12:32 AM
- Josh Reddick none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 5, Mariners 4 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 13 12:03 AM
- Jed Lowrie lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 3, Mariners 4 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 12 11:43 PM
- Mike Carp double to center scored Franklin Gutierrez with two out. Runner on second and Kyle Seager due up.
Red Sox 2, Mariners 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 12 11:38 PM
- Dustin Ackley single to left scored Luis Rodriguez with one out. On the play, Franklin Gutierrez advances to second and Trayvon Robinson advances to third. Bases loaded and Mike Carp due up.
Red Sox 2, Mariners 3 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 12 11:00 PM
- Mike Aviles sacrifice fly to right scored Carl Crawford with two out. Runner on first and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 2, Mariners 2 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 12 10:44 PM
- David Ortiz lead-off Home Run (24) to center. Carl Crawford due up.
Red Sox 1, Mariners 2 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 12 10:36 PM
- Mike Carp single to center scored Ichiro Suzuki and Franklin Gutierrez with none out. On the play, Dustin Ackley advances to second. Runners on first and second and Justin Smoak due up.
Red Sox 0, Mariners 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 12 10:27 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 10:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21