Carp, Wells hit HRs in eighth to lift M's to victoryAug 16, 2011 - 6:40 AM
Carp finished with two home runs and extended his major league-leading hit streak to 15 games. Wells has homered in three straight games.
Trayvon Robinson went 3-for-4 with two doubles, an RBI and a run scored for the Mariners, who won their third straight.
Tom Wilhelmsen (1-0) worked a scoreless eighth to earn his first major league victory.
Brandon League allowed a two-out single in the ninth, but retired Jose Bautista on a groundout to record his 30th save of the season.
Jon Rauch (5-4) suffered the loss after surrendering Wells' home run.
"Our guys battled, never gave in to it," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge. "Obviously, Carp really stepped up for us, as did Wells there late, but I thought we had good at bats throughout."
Eric Thames and Adam Lind had two-run homers for the Blue Jays.
Yunel Escobar began the game with a walk and Thames jumped on the first offering from Michael Pineda, sending it into the stands in right.
Henderson Alvarez, making just his second major league start, hit Wells to begin the home second. Robinson followed Miguel Olivo's flyout with a double to score Wells. Kyle Seager walked and Jack Wilson singled to score Robinson and place runners on the corners. Ichiro Suzuki's sac fly put the Mariners on top.
A half-inning later, Lind followed a Bautista walk with a blast to right field.
Carp's one-out solo shot in the bottom of the third evened the score, but Brett Lawrie made it a 5-4 game with a leadoff homer in the top of the fourth.
Trever Miller began the eighth for the Blue Jays and got Dustin Ackley to ground out before allowing Carp's game-tying homer to right.
Rauch entered and went ahead 1-2 before Wells deposited a slider into the seats in left.
"They did a good job of putting the bat on the ball and mistakes made with location cost us the two solos," said Blue Jays manager John Farrell.
Pineda allowed five runs on six hits and four walks over five innings...Alvarez gave up four runs on six hits over five-plus frames...Carp notched his first career multi-home run game...The Mariners won just their fourth game when trailing after seven innings. They are 4-53 in such contests...The Blue Jays have homered in nine straight games...Lind hit his 21st home run of the season. He now has three straight seasons of more than 20 homers.
- TORONTO: 5
Aug 16 12:54 AM
- Casper Wells one-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Miguel Olivo due up.
Blue Jays 5, Mariners 6 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 16 12:39 AM
- Mike Carp one-out, solo Home Run 2 (6) to right. Casper Wells due up.
Blue Jays 5, Mariners 5 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 16 12:34 AM
- Brett Lawrie lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Aaron Hill due up.
Blue Jays 5, Mariners 4 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 15 11:13 PM
- Casper Wells grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Miguel Olivo due up.
Blue Jays 4, Mariners 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 15 11:09 PM
- Adam Lind one-out, two-run Home Run (21) to right scored Jose Bautista. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 4, Mariners 3 Top 3, 1 OutAug 15 11:00 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki sacrifice fly to left scored Kyle Seager with two outs. Runner on first and Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Blue Jays 2, Mariners 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 15 10:53 PM
- Jack Wilson single to right scored Trayvon Robinson with one out. On the play, Kyle Seager advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Blue Jays 2, Mariners 2 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 15 10:51 PM
- Trayvon Robinson double to left scored Casper Wells with one out. Runner on second and Kyle Seager due up.
Blue Jays 2, Mariners 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 15 10:46 PM
- Eric Thames none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right scored Yunel Escobar. Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 2, Mariners 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 15 10:13 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 10:11 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21